Verizon passing on the Pre after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If a report from TheStreet.com has it right, Verizon won't be picking up the Palm Pre after all. Showcased at this year's CES, Palm's flagship phone garnered quite the following, and was praised as a potential iPhone killer. Just prior to its official debut on Sprint's network in June, Verizon said it would offer the smartphone within six months.

Sprint replied by saying it held exclusive rights to the Pre through 2009, which left most with the impression that the handset would be available via Verizon in January 2010. Palm's CEO Jon Rubinstein recently fueled that anticipation when he said the handset was expected to appear on other networks very soon. Citing "people close to the discussions," TheStreet.com is now reporting that Verizon has decided not to back the Pre.

According to the sources, Verizon's change of heart is based on several factors, including the Pre's mediocre sales. Another is that Verizon wants its VCast application and download store to be featured on the smartphone, which would be in direct conflict with Palm's app store. The sources also say that Verizon wants to focus its support on new devices from Research In Motion and Motorola's Android effort.

Permalink to story.

These news about Verizon backaway Pre is not true Please go the following links:

http://moconews.net/article/419-palm-raises-359.9-million-in-offering-confirms-upcoming-handset-launche/

and

http://www.ockhamresearch.com/Financial-News/Tech-Trader-Daily-Barrons/Recap

Thanks

I'm sorry, from what I see, neither link seems to prove anything at all. They are just as speculative as TheStreet.com's report. If you have something more specific and evidenced to share, feel free.

Greaaaaaaat... Thanks, Verizon, for letting your single-minded loyalty to your craptacular VCast services hose me out of yet another great phone system I was hoping to have access to. I know it's your cash cow and all that, but seriously, you might want to catch up with the rest of the pack on a few things, here... <exit soapbox mode>

Well I'm a Verizon customer and like so many others I too am getting pretty sick and tired of the horrendous phone selection with Big Red. This is pure speculation on my part but I believe phone politics took place here and Apple more than likely told Big Red if you want any chance of seeing our Iphone we better not see it competing with the PRE. Verizon caved.

PART 2: Well we now discover that Verizon is apparently going to carry the PRE after all. I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude regarding what actually shows up at the beginning of the year. Just way too many rumors floating around and the electronics market is getting more volatile by the minute (constant changes and companies suing and threatening each other like crazy, etc.) Wouldn't surprise me if this all takes another twist again before it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back