TechSpot

Verizon: Samsung Galaxy Tab out on November 11 for $600

By Emil
Oct 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Verizon, America's largest carrier, has announced plans to sell the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $600 starting on November 11. Since the device is being sold at full price, a data plan (which starts at $20 per month for 1GB) is completely optional.

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Oh great. So we can spend $600 for a device on a CDMA network. I hope it supports LTE because everyone is moving that way.

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

^This.

Also, they should have lowered the price too. This seems like a poor attempt at competition. It's like: When crappy tablet comes out, they cost $200; but when a worthy tablet comes out its overpriced.

And I swear if this thing is made out of "hard" plastic (but plastic nonetheless), like the crappy tablets I keep seeing being released, I'll boycott Verizon for good.

4. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 84

Wait, a 7in tablet for the same price as a decent laptop running windows 7? Uhhh... comon now. Thats the same price for a 3g 16GB iPad.

I thought Android tablets were going to cost less than the ipad...

5. Well people pay nearly that for a phone about half that size. I agree though that with a free OS and lower cost building materials it should be a fair chunk cheaper than an iPad. But VZW doesn't mind bloating the price at launch to get all those suckers who just cant wait in the door and buying.

I'm just hoping I can buy one of these from standard etailers like newegg for a reasonable price.

But damn.... $600... it should come with a unlimited data plan for a year, free.

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well here's how I'm thinking. Canada in terms of land is the second largest country, covering that much land with Cell service will cost more than covering say....japan. We're already rolling out LTE and we have HSPA+ in every province. Yet the USA has less land and 10 times our population but they refuse to get the **** off of CDMA. There is no reason any carrier should still only offer CDMA. Even if it's CDMA rev 2.

7. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's still too small for me, certainly for that price. I'd pay maybe $300 tops for a 7 inch tablet of any size.

8. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

You can all gripe and moan all you want, I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these puppies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.