Verizon: Samsung Galaxy Tab out on November 11 for $600

Emil

Staff

Verizon, America's largest carrier, has announced plans to sell the Samsung Galaxy Tab for $600 starting on November 11. Since the device is being sold at full price, a data plan (which starts at $20 per month for 1GB) is completely optional.

Running on Android 2.2, the Galaxy Tab features a TFT-LCD capacitive touch screen with a 1024 x 600 resolution, a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor, 512MB RAM, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, 3G, and dual cameras for capturing still images, videos, or making video calls. It also has a robust HTML Web browsing experience with Adobe Flash 10.1, as well as support for a number of different formats, including DivX, Xvid, WMV, and MPEG-4.

The device will come loaded with a few apps: V CAST Music, V CAST Song ID, VZ Navigator, Slacker Radio, Kindle for Android, Blockbuster On Demand presented by V CAST Video, and Let's Golf. As you would have guessed, it will also feature V CAST Apps, Verizon Wireless' mobile storefront.

"This is an incredible time in mobile technology, and as a company we're excited to add the Samsung Galaxy Tab to our portfolio," Marni Walden, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless, said in a statement. "The Samsung Galaxy Tab brings together the reliability of Verizon Wireless' 3G network and the power of Android 2.2 to deliver on our promise of providing consumers and business customers with a host of options to help manage their lives."

Permalink to story.

Oh great. So we can spend $600 for a device on a CDMA network. I hope it supports LTE because everyone is moving that way.

princeton said:
Oh great. So we can spend $600 for a device on a CDMA network. I hope it supports LTE because everyone is moving that way.

^This.

Also, they should have lowered the price too. This seems like a poor attempt at competition. It's like: When crappy tablet comes out, they cost $200; but when a worthy tablet comes out its overpriced.

And I swear if this thing is made out of "hard" plastic (but plastic nonetheless), like the crappy tablets I keep seeing being released, I'll boycott Verizon for good.

Wait, a 7in tablet for the same price as a decent laptop running windows 7? Uhhh... comon now. Thats the same price for a 3g 16GB iPad.

I thought Android tablets were going to cost less than the ipad...

Well people pay nearly that for a phone about half that size. I agree though that with a free OS and lower cost building materials it should be a fair chunk cheaper than an iPad. But VZW doesn't mind bloating the price at launch to get all those suckers who just cant wait in the door and buying.

I'm just hoping I can buy one of these from standard etailers like newegg for a reasonable price.

But damn.... $600... it should come with a unlimited data plan for a year, free.

lawfer said:
princeton said:

^This.

Also, they should have lowered the price too. This seems like a poor attempt at competition. It's like: When crappy tablet comes out, they cost $200; but when a worthy tablet comes out its overpriced.

And I swear if this thing is made out of "hard" plastic (but plastic nonetheless), like the crappy tablets I keep seeing being released, I'll boycott Verizon for good.

Well here's how I'm thinking. Canada in terms of land is the second largest country, covering that much land with Cell service will cost more than covering say....japan. We're already rolling out LTE and we have HSPA+ in every province. Yet the USA has less land and 10 times our population but they refuse to get the **** off of CDMA. There is no reason any carrier should still only offer CDMA. Even if it's CDMA rev 2.

That's still too small for me, certainly for that price. I'd pay maybe $300 tops for a 7 inch tablet of any size.

Back