Verizon to charge $2 fee for paying your bill online or by phone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Verizon Wireless will soon begin charging customers a $2 fee for paying their bill online or by phone. The changes are scheduled to go into effect starting January 15, 2012 but there are a few ways that the new fees can be avoided.

Droid-Life obtained a document detailing the pending “convenience fee” which outlines that the charge will be applied to bill payments made by phone (automated or rep-assisted) and online through My Verizon and My Verizon Mobile. Users will be alerted about the $2 fee during the online and over-the-phone payment process and prompted to select from alternate payment methods that waive the fee if so desired.

These alternative payment methods include paying with an electronic check, signing up for AutoPay, going into a retail store and paying in person, using a gift card, rebate card or reward card or mailing a check via the postal service.

It’s a bit ironic that Verizon will begin charging this convenience fee as service providers, regardless of market, have encouraged customers to sign up for paperless billing for years, citing it as a cheaper and more environmentally safe alternative to traditional snail mail billing. Online and automated phone billing eliminates wasted paper and postage fees both ways.

Of course, $2 per month doesn’t sound like much, but that’s $24 extra per year, per customer that pays online or by phone and it’s a safe bet that this is exactly how millions pay their bill each month.

Are you a Verizon customer, and if so, how do you feel about this convenience fee?

Permalink to story.

This is great news for the USPS, which desperately could use the increased revenue stream. I never have bought into the online payment scam, knowing that at some point telecoms and other corporate would peg this convenience as a profit/ripoff source.

Start now. Occupy the Telecoms. Cancel your online account and return to the old-fashioned payment plan using dead trees, sticky stamps and snail mail to get the bills paid.

The problem is that this is just a beginning, yes 24$ is not much. But then they add another 2$ fee some where and so on. Next thing you know, it becomes a 100$ a year addition. I can see why they do it, they are maximizing profits while minimizing costs. They are a business after all. It just makes me nervous when small fees start popping up, where do we draw the line?

Ha Ha Ha. Verizon has millions of people by the short hairs with this move. Most of them don't know what paper bill is. The don't know what a stamp is. They don't know what check is. They don't even know what an envelope is.

Smart move, Verizon.

Verizon SUCKS! It's not like they already aren't making too much money on you...How much is enough??? I think this is just WAY TOOOO GREEDY!!! I will be mailing my payments in from now on.

Just one more comment/question... How many of you out there reading this are unemployed and already have a nearly $100.00 monthly bill for your Smart Phones?
Do you think you really need it?

I'm a little pissed. I already pay more for my plan than they charge for unlimited everything for month to month customers. Certainly not going to put up with a $2 fee every month.

Wooha... I never understood why we get charged for these things... I thought these companies wanted to go paperless and stuff... This is a signal that they may not be doing as good as we think or they are greedy more than imagined... and believe me I cast a wide net where telecomms are concerned...

switch verizon now? go somebody care customers and environment .
Age of communication gives consumers powers.
do you remember Netflix?

Wow, my bank removed the $2/m fee for paper statements by doing everything online...

too much!

3 lines
1 line= free

2 lines= $20

+ 700 minutes=80$

+ unlimited data on my line 20$ (for some reason the guy said we can give it to you for 20$) im grandfathered into unlimited data! woo!

=120$ for 3 lines
+ taxes/fee's

my parents pay about 136$ a month seems pricey

Haha, this is nothing... My wife got a Cricket phone (since she rarely uses her cell except for texts), the price was great. And then the phone came, and it would not activate through the calling process. Called Cricket's customer service line, and the entire freakin thing is automated - at no time, no matter what I tried, could I EVER get a representative. The answer was always "take it to an authorized dealer or fix it online." Of course, the online system was crap and didn't work either - wouldn't work until the phone was activated, ironically. Finally had to go into a local Cricket store, and got dinged $3 just for talking to customer service there to set up the new phone. The next month, strange charges on the phone, could see them online, couldn't change them, and (of course) no way to speak to customer service on the phone. Went to the local store, DING another $3 just for talking to them. This happened for the next 2 months, and we were done - cheap cell service doesn't make up for nonexistant customer service.

Moral of the story? Every wireless company has issues, and does everything they can to get every penny possible out of your pocket. This latest Verizon thing didn't even remotely surprise me.

Obviously paperless costs Verizon much less than handling physical checks. If only everyone.. well never mind. The thing is, this is a dodge to add another charge to your bill and avoid the FCC by claiming whatever silly cow floop related thing that comes to mind to get away with it.

What a ridiculous payment method to begin with. I can't say I feel sorry for the affected Verizon customers one bit. Paying via My Verizon instead of your banking institution is just silly. Should of been a red flag as soon as they introduced it. Oh well, excuse me a moment while I pay my internet, phone, and utility bills via online BANKING with NO fees.

I must say it is AMAZING to see people post that it's ok to pay their *whatever* provider EXTRA for saving THEM money..

Stupidity really is infinite (Einstein said it, not me).

Verizon is one of the most proficient nickel and dime companies to ever exist in the history of human commerce.

marinkvasina said:
this is nothing 24$ a year isn't much for anyone

Say that for everything and that turns into $15,000. Every cent you waste will make you like the US government, in debt.

I do not trust using online banking bill pay as if they do not have the vendor as a partner then the payment gets generated as a paper check and snail mailed. This defeats the purpose and could arrive late in that case. Another thing to consider is that it has already been put out there that many banks are considering charging a fee to use bill pay through their online banking system at the least if the bill is going to a non-partner which means that of course it saves you a minor convenience, but they will end up charging you more than an envelope and stamp. I refuse to use the USPS to pay bills as they lose mail on a CONSTANT basis and whomever you are paying will not give a rats butt if the USPS did...they just want their money. As for this fee I find it ridiculous to say the least, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I wish that I could say they will be using it to strengthen their coverage in certain areas however they are only concerned with overlaying their 4G onto the existing topology. Looks like USCellular is becoming way too enticing in my book to continue overlooking them.

Verizon is starting a chain of event now...before you know it, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile will follow suit. Once that is done, it'll be the carriers one of many (gazillion) fees/charges.
Doesn't these shareholders ever stop wanting? It's no wonder we have Occupy Wall Street (OWS).

They should charge the fsck out of the customers. Is $2/m all that the $geeks$ can think of, com'on I can think of a whole lot more. You got the customers by the short hairs and I want my returns to improve. Get with the program Verizon and start teaching your customers what it feels like to be a prison biatch. Get all of the wireless corps to do the same and watch what happens with the reaction of millions feeling the cutehola.

yes $2.00/mo or $24.00/yr not a big increase to consumer... HUGE INCREASE to Service Provider ie. Verizon. $2.00/mo X ???,???,??? customers in the U.S. alone = $ $$$,$$$,$$$ every month/year what a nice bonus for them and it is all pure profit.

Reminds me of a bank I used to use (Chase). They started charging $2 for any transactions done at the brick-and-mortar branches then when most people switched to online banking they reversed the policy and made walk-in branch banking free and started charging for online transactions. I see this happening here too. If Verizon wants to spend the money to print and mail me a bill I will send it via snail-mail. But mark my words, when everyone starts doing this they will change their policy and reverse it just like Chase did. It's a quick way to boost revenue for a few months.

People, please send letters to your Congressmen to make a charge for paying for your bill illegal. It would open doors for every company that has money transaction to charge you. Imagine having to fork over an extra $3 dollars to your supermarket just for the privelege of purchasing groceries. Or if you had to pay an extra $3 dollars at the pump just for the privelege of paying for gas. This extra charge should be challenged with the same aggressiveness as the FCC Challenged AT&T for attempting to acquire T-Mobile, with the consumer in mind. The extra charges imposed by banks and telecommunication companies will in NO WAY benefit our economy and exploits extra money from the consumer's class.

Guest said:
I do not trust using online banking bill pay as if they do not have the vendor as a partner then the payment gets generated as a paper check and snail mailed. This defeats the purpose and could arrive late in that case.

Every bill I've seen says somewhere, "If you already made a payment ignore this notice". And you also have the option of calling them to tell you its been made and by what method. Some will accept the confirmation number at the end of your bill payment, but most times they say, "Okay great. Thank you. Anything else I can help you with today?"

Back