Verizon to kill Kin Studio on January 31

By Emil
Dec 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Verizon is planning to close Microsoft's KIN Studio, the backbone of the cloud services for the Kin device and really the only thing that made it truly interesting. Kin Studio will be killed off on January 31, 2011, according to a leaked image posted by WPCentral.

Read the whole story
  2. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

So they revived it to try and sell off the remaining stock, only to end support shortly after? Stay classy, Verizon...and I still don't have service at work, but yes I am glad to contribute just the same to your amazing 4G network I will rarely/if ever utilize :[
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

A short play by Vrmithrax.
    Title: Next of Kin

Verizon: Hey, come buy this great Kin phone
    Consumer: Didn't that phone bomb the first time around?
    Verizon: Nooo, it was just misunderstood! You should totally buy it, it's coooooool!
    Consumer: I dunno...
    Verizon: We made the data plans for it more reasonable!
    Consumer: ...
    Verizon: Aww, c'mon! What's the worst that could happen?
    Consumer: Well... Umm... Ok, I guess.
    Verizon: Great! Sign here... And here... And down here... There you go!
    Consumer: Thanks... I think!
    Verizon: Oh, by the way, your phone sucks and we're killing off all the cool stuff on it!
    Verizon: Thanks for choosing Verizon!
    Consumer: DOH!

*fade to black as Verizon runs off snickering and counting money*
  4. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone until March 31, 2011."
  5. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

Heh... Oh, I saw that. Just joking around about one of the most drawn out and convoluted bait and switch maneuvers in recent memory.

I'll reserve my judgement on just how badly the Kin consumers got screwed until I see just which phones Verizon has decided are eligible for that trade in. Hopefully they get decent Android smartphones in trade.
  6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Unless you want the phone as some sort of collectors item, whats the point?
  7. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

It better have a galaxy S on that list. Otherwise verizon's gunna get a lot of bad press.
  8. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 Newcomer, in training Posts: 489

"they can trade in their Kin device for a free 3G phone" ? sounds a bit vague to me. A lot of entry-level devices now incorporate 3G. It's hardly cutting edge technology anymore. The Kin consumers will probably end up with some more phones being cleared from Verizon's inventory in exchange for their neutered phones.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.