Verizon video suggests Droid Bionic is coming September 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

After nearly a year of anticipation, the Droid Bionic will finally see the light of day. A teaser video posted on Verizon Wireless’ official YouTube account yesterday hinted at a September 8 release.

Verizon has a history of teasing consumers with videos but what separates this one from others is the text “2011.9.8” at the end of the Korean clip. Yesterday a leaked product guide showed up at Droid Life detailing the phone’s updated specifications with a launch date for all channels of September 8.

According to the product guide, the 4G LTE-capable Bionic will feature a dual-core 1GHz processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, 16GB of internal memory, a 4.3” 960x540 display and an 8MP rear shooter capable of 1080p HD video capture. The phone is said to ship with Android 2.3. If the handset does launch on next Thursday as anticipated, it would be Verizon’s first dual-core 4G LTE smartphone.

droid bionic verizon motorola

Verizon initially debuted the phone at CES in January and many crowned it the iPhone killer. Delays in the release have allowed other handsets to steal the spotlight, however. 

One example is the Samsung Galaxy S II, which is coming to the US on September 16. The Galaxy S II features a faster 1.2GHz dual-core CPU with otherwise very similar specs. Had the Bionic been launched earlier this year, it likely would have been the most powerful smartphone on the market for some time.

Permalink to story.

I just hope it has a nicer looking screen. Currently the Samsung screens are top notch and Motorola is pretty far behind in that regard.

Be careful running around touting clockspeed as the be-all end-all statistic for horsepower.The OMAP is clock for clock superior to the Exynos in most of the benchmarks I've seen concerning the two.

LOL.

So much for those one liners.

So what's the better statistic for horsepower?

You mean to say that a 1GHz OMAP processor is better than a 1.2 ghz Exynos processor?

Why don't you try breaking it down point by point and explain to us how OMAP is, "clock for clock superior" to Exynos?

Here's a link that shows how OMAP compares to Exynos, Tegra, Hummingbird, etc.

http://tugaskita.com/samsung-exynos-4210-vs-tegra-2.html

yawn...being out the Samsung Nexus!!! IF you don't have that up your sleeves I want the damn Galaxy S2 Verizon! We don't want Motorola Crap!!!

sure thing, will be happy too...i'm not the original poster but i thought your comment was fairly rude so i felt compelled to "elaborate"

based on the GLBenchmark 2.0 software using OpenGL native resolution FPS test, the 1Ghz TI OMAP 4430 sports a SGX 540 series GPU unit and benches at 55.3 fps. the same clock speed on the 1 Ghz Exynos 4210 which sports a slightly inferior Mali-400MP processor, benches at 49.1 FPS. they both run the same clock. that would be the LG Optimus 3d vs the Samsung Galaxy S II. It also depends on RAM, what type and how much. It ALSO depends on what software is running in the background (bloatware). For instance the LG Optimus 2X running the 1ghz tegra 2 will bench at 51.2 FPS, while the Motorola Atrix 4G with the same processor will bench at 42.2 FPS.

A simple google search will yield the information you are looking for. I really don't care if you flame me or complain about my data. I am simply presenting the facts you asked for. Before you post such a combative comment, please do some of your OWN research.

Let the flaming begin!

What a freakin' nerd. It's a phone. It'll be great just like all the others.

LOL again.

That doesnt prove that a 1GHz OMAP processor is better than a 1.2 ghz Exynos processor. You better try harder.

Try researching more & you'll find out that OMAP even lags behind Exynos in some benchmarks. LOL.

Back