Verizon wireless/Netgear

circusboy01

I'm using a Netgear stick to connect to my Verizon wireless Router. the netgear device uses a wep key. I have heard that WPA is more secure then WEP.
Can someone take me through the steps I need to do to change from WEP to WPA ?
I believe you have to create a Passphrase..When I open Netgear There is a place for a Passphrase. I'm hoping that means it's possible to change it from WEP to WPA.
Thanks CB

You have it correct; Once you elect to use encrypted wifi connections, you get a choice of WEP, WPA and WPA2. WEP
is easily cracked (but not every John Doe has the equipment or skill so don't go paranoid).
Give the choice, the first one to try is WPA2, WPA, and WEP as a last choice.

Here's the trap: not all makes/models are compatible with encryption :(
Brain dead, but a fact.
Make sure your WiFi device has the latest firmware and the wifi driver on the system has the latest driver - -
this will usually avoid the encryption problems.

ONCE the WiFi device enables encryption, then ONLY encrypted access is allowed,
so all your devices on the LAN need to support the SAME (WPA2, WPA, or WEP) technology.

Set a unique SSID for your LAN (ie not the vender stupid default) helps in connecting to your router and not some other in the neighborhood.
Choose a passphrase of your liking (use upper+lower case, a number and a special charater like (@#$*+!) and write it down. While you're into the router
be sure to disable remote config (port 8080) and set a new admin password too!
Save the settings and your router is ready for encrypted connections.

btw: your wired connections will not be encrypted, but who cares :)

You have it correct; Once you elect to use encrypted wifi connections, you get a choice of WEP, WPA and WPA2. WEP
is easily cracked (but not every John Doe has the equipment or skill so don't go paranoid).
Give the choice, the first one to try is WPA2, WPA, and WEP as a last choice.

Here's the trap: not all makes/models are compatible with encryption :(
Brain dead, but a fact.
Make sure your WiFi device has the latest firmware and the wifi driver on the system has the latest driver - -
this will usually avoid the encryption problems.

ONCE the WiFi device enables encryption, then ONLY encrypted access is allowed,
so all your devices on the LAN need to support the SAME (WPA2, WPA, or WEP) technology.

Set a unique SSID for your LAN (ie not the vender stupid default) helps in connecting to your router and not some other in the neighborhood.
Choose a passphrase of your liking (use upper+lower case, a number and a special charater like (@#$*+!) and write it down. While you're into the router
be sure to disable remote config (port 8080) and set a new admin password too!
Save the settings and your router is ready for encrypted connections.

btw: your wired connections will not be encrypted, but who cares :)

First. the other 3 people that use the same Router are probably not going to want to go through the hassle of changing from WEP to WPA. So before we begin I need to know. If my neighbors, in this mobile home park, are stealing my signal.
would that cause our computers to run slow? If so, would changing from WEP to WPA fix the problem? By blocking the signal or what ever.
Alo if we do decide to make the change. I was wondering when one or both of them are on their computers it shows up when I click on computer down by start.
Does this mean I have some sort of control over their computers. If so could I change from WEP to WPA for all 4 computers from Mine? Thanks I'll wait to get answers before I decide to go forward or not. Thanks again CB

First. the other 3 people that use the same Router are probably not going to want to go through the hassle of changing from WEP to WPA. So before we begin I need to know. If my neighbors, in this mobile home park, are stealing my signal. would that cause our computers to run slow?
NO. They may impact your network bandwidth, but not the computer 'speed per se'
If so, would changing from WEP to WPA fix the problem? By blocking the signal or what ever.
by getting a strong encryption (and other stuff we can chat about later), they will not get a connection and thus preserve ALL the bandwidth for ONLY those that you give the passphrase to
Also if we do decide to make the change. I was wondering when one or both of them are on their computers it shows up when I click on computer down by start.[*]
I don't understant that question - - -
Does this mean I have some sort of control over their computers.
no, just their connection to YOUR wifi router
If so could I change from WEP to WPA for all 4 computers from Mine?
YES, it's an ALL or NOTHING proposition.
NONE use encryption OR ALL use the same encryption

[*] Control->Admin Tools->Shared Folders->Sessions
will show you if anyone has access to your file shares. You should know each and
every system name that shows up here.

NO. They may impact your network bandwidth, but not the computer 'speed per se' by getting a strong encryption (and other stuff we can chat about later), they will not get a connection and thus preserve ALL the bandwidth for ONLY those that you give the passphrase to I don't understant that question - - - no, just their connection to YOUR wifi router YES, it's an ALL or NOTHING proposition.
NONE use encryption OR ALL use the same encryption

[*] Control->Admin Tools->Shared Folders->Sessions
will show you if anyone has access to your file shares. You should know each and
every system name that shows up here.

Question you don't understand.. I just meant that when I click on computer, If their on line the names of others in the house shows up ' John Doe's computer" or Jane Doe's
computer. on mine, and I was wondering if that meant that I could change from WEP to WPA for all of us. Sometimes my thought's nead to catch up to what I'm typing. Other times what I'm typing needs to catch up to what I'm thinking.
Clear as mud Huh.
I'm going to hold off making any changes for a while. So I won't be badgering you until I decide if I want to do it or not.
One more thing. You said.Control(panel)>Admin tools>Shared files>sessions will show me if anyone has access to my file shares. I clicked control panel. Found and clicked Admin tools. There was nothing that said shared files and/or sessions.
Could this be because I'm using Windows 7 64 bit? and windows 7 has a lot of changes? CB

oops; I ment to show you Control->Admin Tools->Computer Management->Shared Folders->Sessions

On Win/7, yes you get a pretty map of all the computers on your network; and that's not to say they have or are using or accessing your computer.

You should make sure your wifi IS encrypted - - that's more important than the details of HOW.

oops; I ment to show you Control->Admin Tools->Computer Management->Shared Folders->Sessions

On Win/7, yes you get a pretty map of all the computers on your network; and that's not to say they have or are using or accessing your computer.

You should make sure your wifi IS encrypted - - that's more important than the details of HOW.

O.K. This time it worked. Got " There are no items to show in this view."
Didn't show the 3 computers that I know share my Verizon Router. I'm sure that was because they are off.So I'm guessing it wouldn't show anyone stealing my signal if their computer is off

I took my computer back to factory settings. Wanted to see if the problem was with my computer or from something else. Now that I'm up and running again. My computer is still slow. So it looks like the problem is not from my computer CB.

Back