Vertu's latest luxury smartphone will cost you at least $10,000

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you are fed up with the “boring” appearance of today’s smartphones and just happen to have between $10,000 and $20,000 burning a hole in your pocket, you can kill two birds with one stone thanks to a new luxury smartphone from British designer Vertu.

Among today’s top smartphones, the entry-level Vertu Ti falls short in the specifications department. It includes a 3.7-inch display, a dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor, 1GB of RAM, 64GB of internal storage and an 8-megapixel camera. The handset runs a dated version of Android – Ice Cream Sandwich, to be exact.

vertu luxury android smartphone costs android smartphone luxury phone

The company ships the phone with a standard array of accessories like a carrying case, charging cables and a wired stereo headset. What makes the line so expensive is the materials used to build it. For starters, all phones are handmade by a single craftsman in England from 184 individual components. A sapphire crystal glass screen and Grade 5 titanium are common across all models.

The entry level unit is constructed of black leather while more expensive models contain materials like alligator and 18 carat red gold. Expect to pay just south of 20 grand for the most expensive version.

It’s a tough pill to swallow for sure, especially when you consider that many people feel an unsubsidized iPhone at $650 or the just-released BlackBerry Z10 at $999 is highway robbery. But in the same respect, the mobile phone industry has seen people shell out a boatload of money and received far less in return.

Look no further than the I Am Rich app that hit the App Store back in 2008. Eight iPhone owners reportedly paid $999.99 for an app that did nothing more than display a red gem when activated. That’s it – for a grand. Apple removed the app shortly after it was published.

Permalink to story.

If the phone costs $20,000, it should be built so that they could replace the guts of it with newer technology every couple years.

I feel this same way about $200 shoes, $1000 suits, and $100k cars, but in the end, we all have something we like that another feels is stupid.
It makes no sense really. Although anyone can be conned, this phone is for the really gullible.
I agree but that something is usually reasonably priced. This phone is for people with too much money & not enough sense. It makes me wonder how the hell they even accrued such wealth if they're willing to waste it on such frivolous things. It's not that it's one off item, it's available to any anyone with 20 grand who really has to be eccentric/daft.

As someone who knows A LOT of very wealthy people who can afford this stuff, I know that very few would buy this. Why? Because it's not the best of the best. They're more likely to have an iPhone or GS3 customized than to buy this because it's not the latest tech.

I don't care if I were a billionaire. I would NOT pay 10-20 grand for a phone whose hardware will be outdated in no time. Shoot, I wouldn't pay that much period. It's a phone.

"accessories like a carrying case, charging cables and a wired stereo headset." Honestly, for 10 Grand you can throw in a wireless headset of some kind, do you really think someone spending $10000 on a phone is going to use the wired headset provided? Might as well just not include one...

I don't care if I were a billionaire. I would NOT pay 10-20 grand for a phone whose hardware will be outdated in no time. Shoot, I wouldn't pay that much period. It's a phone.

No don't worry, its obsolete before you even get it, they made sure of that by equipping it with a dual core processor. Again, for that kind of money it should be leaps and bounds ahead of what Apple and Samsung have.

This Brand "Vertu" is more of a service company. This phone is more of an interface to use the service. Most of the service is through phone call anyway.
http://www.vertu.com/en/exclusive-services.aspx

Again, people who uses this service won't need the best hardware anyway. Like Carlos Slim, he doesn't even need to know how to use a laptop or smart phone to run his multi-billion business.

Selling a great product at a discount is a no-brainer. It is selling a piece of dung for a fortune that's something to admire.

Those who puchased said app in the app store also have viruses/malware/trojans/whatever you wanna call on their phone, which automatically bought this because it was simple and easy.

Back