Very bad 3dMark score

Status
Not open for further replies.
A P4 + SDRAM is usually not a good combination for an excellent score. I'd say your score is about right for that setup.

If you still want to improve your score, you could try disabling anything that you don't need. I see that you've already disabled your DSL when benching. Unused USB ports and Printer ports sometimes waste resources as well so you could try disabling those, too.

And you can always read the numerous tweak guides here at TechSpot.

Why turn off stuff u dont need ? u cant compete with the big boys so be happy with what u got. Unless u Overclock water cool and increase voltages u ant got anything to impress anyone. Be happy that u can play Unreal 2k3 with out lag because i cant :eek:)

Tweaking isn't about competing with "the big boys"... it's about getting as much out of your machine as possible without having to spend the big bucks to do it.

Sure, if he's happy with his machine the way it is, then he shouldn't worry about tweaking or disabling resource-hogging hardware that he doesn't use anyway. But obviously if he is here asking for advice, he's not happy with his machine, right?

By the way, NV30... I forgot to mention another thing about your setup. I'm guessing you have a "Willamette" Pentium 4, which is much slower in comparison to the "Northwood" core, which boasts a 533MHz FSB and 512K L2 cache. The Willamette core has only 400MHz FSB and 256K L2 cache.

If you want, you could look for a Northwood P4 and buy that to use in your computer if your motherboard supports it. The Willamette core is much slower than the Northwood core.

Yeah, I do have a Williamette. Performance isn't bad, but aniso filtering and AA really decrease fps.

I doubt that he can replace his Willy, with a Northwood on the same motherboard becuz

Willy has 423 socket
Northwoo has 478 socket...

Your CPU is fine, its just the RAM...like me :(

Yeah... that's true. I'm not a big Intel fan so I didn't know they had a different amount of pins until I looked it up.

Oh well... sorry for telling you something you already knew. :\

No hard feelings. Also, my mobo would have to be replaced too to get DDR RAM, so I'll just wait until next year then snap up a new rig with the NV30.

The comment about SD-RAM is probably correct but what drivers are you using ?

Also, have you got AGP 4x Mode on, Side Band Addressing, AGP Fast Writes, VSYNC disabled, are you running 3d mark on default settings etc.

My tweaking program can change some of these settings

Originally posted by NV30
Hi,

System is:

P4 1.7Ghz
512 MB SDRAM
Intel D845HV
GF4 Ti4200 128MB
Win XP

Getting a score of 6827!! http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4769000

How can I improve this? It's really bad.

Its not that bad. I've just replaced my motherboard due to flashing having killed the previous one *groan* Had to flash to use a new 2100+ XP

Athlon XP 2100+
512 MB 2100DDR
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
GF3 Original 64mb
Win 98SE

Gives me a score of about 7200.

So its not that bad a score. This was with Detonator 21.83 which is the last one I had backed up and since I am not on DSL at home anymore due to moving I haven't updated to newer detonators. I'll be changing when I get home tonight though ;)

Originally posted by Top_gun
I doubt that he can replace his Willy, with a Northwood on the same motherboard becuz

Willy has 423 socket
Northwoo has 478 socket...

Your CPU is fine, its just the RAM...like me :(
There are old P4s with Socket 478 too. My first P4 was like this, then I got Northwood and now I have Celeron II, all with the same Socket 478 motherboard.

tripleione,

Welcome to TechSpot! Nice to see you here. Now I know why you asked me on the other board if it was me. It is. ;) Different breed of board here > much more overall maturity. More 'discussion' & less opinion. :grinthumb Looks like you're fitting in quite nicely!

Hi Greg,

Have you got 'Riva Tuner' to oc the card? it's @ www.guru3d.com & if ya want to pick it up I'll help you with it to get a little better 3d Mark score & better frame rates in games. :D

For those interested: there is a socket adapter becoming available for 423 to 478 CPU's:
p478.jpg
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/p478/p478.htm

Have a good one,

Haha... I thought it was you man. The "GBA!" in your sig looked very familiar and then I knew I had seen it at MadOnion somewhere.

Thanks for the welcome.

Re: Re: Very bad 3dMark score

Originally posted by Arris
Its not that bad. I've just replaced my motherboard due to flashing having killed the previous one *groan* Had to flash to use a new 2100+ XP

Athlon XP 2100+
512 MB 2100DDR
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
GF3 Original 64mb
Win 98SE

Gives me a score of about 7200.

So its not that bad a score. This was with Detonator 21.83 which is the last one I had backed up and since I am not on DSL at home anymore due to moving I haven't updated to newer detonators. I'll be changing when I get home tonight though ;)

That's strange. With my old AXP 1600+ with 256MB DDR and the same drivers and graphics card (an MSI GF3 VT64D), I managed to get about 8000-8300 3dmarks.

Re: Re: Re: Very bad 3dMark score

Originally posted by --Ne0-CyPh3r--
That's strange. With my old AXP 1600+ with 256MB DDR and the same drivers and graphics card (an MSI GF3 VT64D), I managed to get about 8000-8300 3dmarks.

Hmmm getting just under 8000 with some GF3 overclocking (220 Core, 490 mem). Could be that this Gigabyte board doesn't have any settings for AGP aperture, x2-x4-x8 etc... it has this lame "Top Performance" option. Gonna have to check with gigabyte whether they have a bios available that enables these settings which I thought were kinda standard now. I think the GF3 possibly tops out performance wise and maybe thats why I am not seeing much difference with the 2100+ over the 1600+...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back