TechSpot

Very different temperatures on CPU cores

By Rig
Feb 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello there, I'm new to the Techspot community so please bare with me XD.

I'v recently built this computer, and I'm just checking that it's all working properly. I was testing the temps on my CPU cores after running a burn in test and they seemed very different. they were:

Core#0: 38C
    Core#3: 24C
    Core#2: 37C
    Core#1: 29C

I mean these are pretty low for a Q9550 but my friend told me it's very weird and he's NEVER seen variations like that, I was just checking with you guys about it.

My Motherboard is GA-EP45-UD3.

thank you for your help

Attached Files:

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,895   +88

hey Rig,
    do the the temps get closer to even when they are under load?
  3. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

My Q9550 reports similar differences in all 4 cores too, with 0 and 3 being the hottest, like yours. Its the C1 stepped version.
    IIRC it was a quirk of the C1 cores.
  4. Rig

Rig TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

yes, even in a stress test it shows the CPU Core temperature variations to a high extent as in my above measurements. Luckily I have a 3 year warranty with it but I have to say it's bad of Intel to sell a CPU which has quite obvious problems with the temperature measuring system.
  5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Keep a log that also tracks what the computer is doing at the time.
    The good thing is that all those temperatures are well within the normal range and nothing about which you should worry.
    You might try another temperature logging software for comparison...
    But temperature reports are seldom very accurate in our experience... You just start to worry if they rise above 64c
  6. k.jacko

k.jacko TS Rookie Posts: 743

yeah, i don't worry about mine, its well below the 60° start to panic stage.
    Intel will most likely claim its a 'characteristic of the chip'
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.