Very loud hissing distortion sound every now and then

Ollie30001

Hi, Spes are:

Mobo: Asus m2n-e sli latest BIOS
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.20GHZ not overclocked.
Mem: 4gig ddr2 800mhz dual channel not overclocked.
Graphics: 5870 not overclocked
HDD: 80gig maxtor from years ago (temp replacement :( )

Right im using the mobos onboard sound have been for ages.

Every now and then i will be listening to music or playing a game thru headphones OR speakers when suddenly all sound will stop and be replaced by a VERY loud horrible hissing sound.

When i have headphones on its really bad i swear il have a heart attck sometime, it makes me jump its so loud.

After i unplug the headphones or turn the sound system off and on agen its back to normal for a few days??

Recently upgraded to windows 7 64bit from vista 32bit. never had the problems with vista??

Your motherboard does not support Windows 7 with compatible sound drivers. It stops at Vista. While some Vista drivers may work with W7, perhaps not all of them do, such as the sound driver. The lack of a W7 supported driver could be the problem.

Ah, right i didnt no that thanks.

erm... any idea how come it only happens everynow and then, like what could be setting it off, because most the time it seems fine.

i know im running a mixture of very old and very new hardware/software together.

Does the 5870 only output sound to HD monitors and sound devices? Any way to hook it up to a old 5.1 surround sound system?

Does the 5870 only output sound to HD monitors and sound devices?
Yes, through the HDMI connection. If your TV has an HDMI input you might be able to route the sound out from the TV to a AV receiver and then to the 5.1 speaker system. I say, "might," because I don't know if it would work.

Hello, sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have been having this problem. This is the closest description to my problem as well..

I have similar hardware:

Athlon64 X2 4800+ 2.5Ghz
Asus M2N SLI (With Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG)
2GB RAM DDR2
500 watt psu
nVidia GeForece GTS 250
My monitor is an HP 2009m (It has built-in speakers)

None of my hardware is OC. My sound usually messes up whenever I use VLC Media Player. (I use it to watch anime .mkv files, mainly) I haven't had this problem until a month or two ago and I've had Windows 7 (32-bit Ultimate) since February, I believe.

Although, it may not just be VLC.. but it's only when I notice and after it happens I have to completely turn off my computer, PSU and all. I'm hoping there's a fix, or an alternative route... seeing how it's been a few years. Would anyone recommend Realtek drivers? (They've helped me in the past, but I've seen no use for them until now)

Please, any advice would help.

Back