Very Slow Boot Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
recently we had a power cut at home when pc with windows xp sp2 was on and since this happened the pc takes what seems to be an age to boot up anyone any ideas thanks

try defragmenting the hard drive, and downloading ccleaner to clean up temporary files and run the issues scan, to clean up the registry

if it's only happened since the power cut then try unplugging the pc for a min and then plug it in again, it might help, we'll see ;)

also try using the Disk Cleanup thing in my computer, right click on your hard drive, properties and the button is underneath the pie chart of disk space

power cut could lead to 'lost' files. Right click on the hard drive and choose propereties/tools/check for errors.

ATF-Cleaner and CCleaner are both free good to use... Scan your HDD for errors first then run defrag... Use SpeedXP another free tweak program for XP

- check virus
- Defragment
- check H/D
- close unnecessary startup program by

click run ,type msconfig, click tab startup, disable unnecessary program

jobeard said:
NEVER DEFRAG after a power outage! run chkdsk /f immediately!

I concur with Jobeard! A sudden power interrupt can mess up the filesystem and running chkdsk is the best way to resolve it.

pejung said:
click run ,type msconfig, click tab startup, disable unnecessary program
sorry to disagree, but this is an inappropriate use of MSCONFIG;

it interferes with the ability to use the NORMAL startup option.

The correct way to stop unwanted services is via the cp->admin tools->services.
Setting unwanted services to manual or disabled here allows msconfig to use
the normal startup and or any other options as it was designed to be used.

Jobeard, Use MSConfig Cleanup!

jobeard said:
sorry to disagree, but this is an inappropriate use of MSCONFIG;

it interferes with the ability to use the NORMAL startup option.

The correct way to stop unwanted services is via the cp->admin tools->services.
Setting unwanted services to manual or disabled here allows msconfig to use
the normal startup and or any other options as it was designed to be used.

Jobeard, if you're one of the people who insists on having the "Normal Startup" option, I found a nice program for you! It's call MsConfig Cleanup. Once you deselect the useless and unnecessary startup programs in MSConfig, you close the utility, then run MSConfig Cleanup. It removes the entries in the registry for these programs, hence, they no longer appear in the Startup list in MSConfig. Now the Normal Startup option is selected!

This conversation prompted me to document my thoughts and actions on the subject via this thread

My issues with msconfig are purist;
I want diagnostic tools to not interfer with system configuration parameters.
In this way, the system can be analyzed from any perspective by any knowledgable person
to understand what is expected to occur.
The diagnostic tools (ie acquiring information) imo, should not impact the runtime config.
[I've paid dearly over my career for this mistake by others].

jobeard said:
This conversation prompted me to document my thoughts and actions on the subject via this thread

My issues with msconfig are purist;
I want diagnostic tools to not interfer with system configuration parameters.
In this way, the system can be analyzed from any perspective by any knowledgable person
to understand what is expected to occur.
The diagnostic tools (ie acquiring information) imo, should not impact the runtime config.
[I've paid dearly over my career for this mistake by others].

I am much like you. I prefer to keep things organized and straightforward (almost to a fault!) I too dodn't like seeing the "Normal Startup" deselected. Then I discovered the MSConfig Cleanup Utility and it at least got around disabling the useless artup programs. Now the entries are removed completely and you can use the Normal Startup selection again! Alas, I do encounter situation with customers where I have to deselect services and systems components and they must live without Normal Startup :mad:

Life ain't perfect!

my objection is the deletion of entries; it's burning bridges and in software I've
learned that there is seldom a one-way journey -- decisions get reversed!
Yet with that said, I too deleted some entries, eg the java auto-update --
inconsistant as all heck :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back