Very Slow Network Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I've noticed that as of about 2 months ago, transferring files across any LAN to or from my computer is excruciatingly slow. Transferring files to or from my main computer to any other computer on my home gigabit LAN, I get transfer rates of around 2-3 Bytes/sec. So slow that it takes several minutes to transfer just a few kilobytes. I really cannot figure out what is causing this. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Also, this only happens when my main computer is involved in the transfer. Transfers across my LAN involving any other computers work normally, as do Internet transfers. And it happens everywhere. Even when my PC is hooked up to other LANs.

Well the first and only guess I have at this time would be to update the NIC drivers, have you done that?

I have not. I will do that now.

EDIT: Installed new chipset and LAN drivers, no change in network speeds. There doesn't seem to be a problem with internet speeds. I still download at 1.1MB/s. It's just file transfers across the local area network.

That download speed and even that upload speed, unfortunately, are faster than I transfer files across my own network...

Try resetting both your LAN connection on both of the computers in your household. It could be anything. Turning your router off for a while so it can rest and reset itself may also help to give it a break. If you have a program like mcafee and your firewall running this can cause the transfer to go even slower because the firewall is blocking out certain things needed when transferring.

I've got no firewalls on my PC, I bought a new router a few days ago with no change, and the problem happens on other people's networks too (i.e. LAN parties). I've reset the LAN connection on my computer several times, reinstalled the drivers, tried using my other ethernet port, all to no avail. This just started happening about 2 months ago.

EDIT: Problem solved!

It was being caused by a setting in the Nvidia control panel called "Nvidia Teaming".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back