Very slow shut down.

By Hwon
Jan 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently, every time I shut down my computer, instead of taking a couple second to shut down it takes about a minute or two. So I watched the screen one time and very quickly I saw what I think read... ctfmon is not responding and needs to be shut down. I think it was the window that pops up when something doesnt respond and you can manually end it. It comes up for like a second and than the computer shuts down.
    Aside from that, occasionally whenever I try to open folders and the "Thumbnail view" is on, a window pops up saying that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to shut down.

I've searched my computer for viruses and used Ad-aware SE personal and they both found nothing. So does anyone know what else could be the problem?
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

From what you say i believe it's a minor spyware infection. You need to read the sticky threads in the Security and the Web forum then make a post there.
  3. tekNerd

tekNerd Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

Try this tool.
    It did wonders to my shutdown time. Go figure!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.