Very specific questions on RAID 0 and JBOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainii

I have a GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard which has one controller with 4 sata ports and also supports RAID 0,1 and JBOD on the same controller.

I have two identical hard drives on RAID 0 mode on one array.
I also have two more HDD's which are different in size which i want to use independently of RAID.
However, the motherboard only allows me to use them by enabling them as JBOD through the RAID controller as a different array (or 2 different arrays, which is how I set them up).
If I don''t set them up as JBOD, Windows XP (or linux) just doesn't see them.

1) Is there any way to just use them as independent disks without having them as JBOD and still use the first 2 drives as Raid 0?
2) In a case that I want to change mboard in the future, can I just take the 2 JBOD drives and use them at the new mboard as is without any data loss?
3) Is there any way to read the temperature of the drives in the RAID Array?

thanks

Personally, I would be very nervous to simply swap m/b. I would get a full backup of the raid array and be prepared to perform a restore after the swap. To me this implies using a tool like Ghost or Acronis True Image 11.

I can't speak to all of your issues, but I can tell you that my 3Ware controller will read SMART data off any drive connected to it, which should give you the temperature. I don't know what sort of interface utility exists for your situation, but I would think you might have to go through that. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back