Very strange boot-up problem after windows starts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i've been reading thread after thread but none are the problem i have with my laptop,

I'll start from the beginning,

I downloaded some free software off the net today and when i opened the .exe file is got a blue screen in MASSIVE resolution for a split second then the computer restarted it self,
Upon starting up it will go all the way to the windows boot with the little moving bar, it will all load fine but the second the windows boot is done i get a blank screen with nothing atall, no mouse, no sound, naff all basicly.

So I thought "i know i'll start in safe mode remove the .exe and virus scan the computer" WRONG! the same issue happens in safe mode aswell, i've seen post after post of people sorting similar problems in safe mode but even my safe mode wont work....

Any ideas atall guys, im usually pritty good with computers but this has me stumped

Many Thanks Jay

Can you try to boot the system in question by choosing "Last Good Known Configuration" ?

Sorry forgot to add that bit, same problem when I start it in "Last good known configuration" aswell,
I really am stumped

Many thanks
Jay

If you have windows installation cd you can try to repair your current installation of the OS.

Also if that doesn't work try booting with command prompt in safe mode; and tell whether it works or where it stopped.

Hi Archean, tried booting with command prompt but it gets to Mup.sys and the laptop restarts itself for some reason and returns to the options to boot

Can you boot from Windows CD, select repair/restore (whatever it is), when the command appears run:

chkdsk /p /r

if that doesn't work other option you can try is (again you will need windows CD):

The MUP.sys file is located in windows\system32 folder (you can also check where all of its copies are located by typing this on command prompt at c:\, dir /s). Rename mup.sys file located on your hdd to anything e.g. mupold.sys. Then expand the mup.sy_ from the cdrom (I386 folder) to the folder where it was on your hdd. Then set the attribute to +r. So, that no other process can overwrite the file. Try to reboot and see whether that works.

Also note that, mup.sys unstability is also related to Overloaded PSU, RAM & Graphics Memory errors or any other hardware related issues which are critical for the system (I think though in your case these may not apply)

Awesome, cheers Archean, I'll try as soon as i get home,

real life saver if this works cos all my business folders are on the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back