Very unstable computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

firthy88

I havent got the foggyest what is happening to my computer but when i have 2 maybe 3 media programs running eg windows media , messinger and the internet at the same time my comp crashes it makes a very crinkly sound through the speakers instead of sound and the monitor goes pinky and yellowy lines plese help if you can thanks ashley

We need your configuration. Brand, model of computer or motherboard, memory and video graphics installed, audio, operating system, and age of computer. To what type if IP are you connected? Firewall? Other security?

you;ll need be more specific on make and model numbers. Their website lists
* Evolve
* Solar
* Oxegen
* Quattro

under Desktops alone (or you have a laptop?) and i'm sure there are varying model numbers per model.

Also XP Home Edition with what Service Pack Level? SP1, SP2, SP3? Are you current on Microsoft updates?

btw.. if not certain, there is likely a tag on your computer (usually the back side of a desktop tower, the bottom of a laptop) indicating the exact make/model/model number of your computer

can any 1 help me please

can any body help me with my problem please if u need to know anything please just ask thankyou ash

Fragmentation of files are dependant on usage

But generally when you notice the files access to be noticably slower than before.
Or every few months.

FYI: Vista (not yours) is set to Defrag everyday, as a task

its the old evesham amd, Im on sp2 xp and yeah all updates current

1. You should have XP SP3 installed to assure all updates are current

2. We still need further detail on your system specs. If the crash problem continues after you install XP SP3 you can
  • Install Everest Home Edition and run it
  • Click Report -> Report Wizard then click Next, click System Summary Only, click Plain Text
  • Attach the text file to your post to to TechSpot by clicking the paper clip icon you see using Advanced Reply. (You won't see it using Quick Reply)

Not really. Name the one file that is missing when you don't get SP-3... you also avoid trouble when you don't get SP3--- if you use Zone Alarm, Comodo, or AMD

There is only one file difference on my downloads, and it is insignificant.

Look at the inventories of the other outfits who also inventory the Microsoft Updates.

Not really. Name the one file that is missing when you don't get SP-3... you also avoid trouble when you don't get SP3--- if you use Zone Alarm, Comodo, or AMD

There is only one file difference on my downloads, and it is insignificant.

Look at the inventories of the other outfits who also inventory the Microsoft Updates.

1. You're kinda debating theory vs. practice
If we assume all MS updates issued since SP2 are, in fact, contained within SP3 you could prove your point but only for your own computer. Fact is, it's not rare to find newbies or those just less "computer savvy" as "geeks like us" who say they're current with SP2 when, in fact, a look at their installation history shows thats not true (update install failures that are ignored, sometimes ignored to the point of being turned off). As rule of thumb (certainly used as my own rule of thumb) i feel much more confident that someone is running on a known and fixed software base when they say they are on SP3 vs. them simply saying "SP2 and all current updates since"

2. Is SP2 + updates really equivalent to SP3?
I haven't tried to prove this myself, but can say i've read too many times on sites (not blogs) i find reputable and knowledgeable about XP which suggest otherwise.
  • One statement on Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows "Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the final Windows XP service pack, a collection of previously-released fixes and product enhancements, as well as a few new features that are unique to this release."
  • Also, as i understand it, SP3 includes "updates and hotfixes" but aren't hotfixes those updates you only get from MS if you contact them to say you really need it???
  • Finally suggest you also review this document from Microsoft, Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3 that summarizes all the "new" features.
    • Some of these were available in SP2 but optional. In SP3 they're all installed by default
    • Some features are new to SP3. Period. They don't change the customer's experience but do affect XP's behavior.

Anyway, that's my 2cents on the subject.

The problem:
Very unstable computer
I havent got the foggyest what is happening to my computer but when i have 2 maybe 3 media programs running eg windows media , messinger and the internet at the same time my comp crashes it makes a very crinkly sound through the speakers instead of sound and the monitor goes pinky and yellowy lines plese help if you can thanks ashley

Instead of dwelling on the SP2 vs SP3 issue, lets look at what's happening:
1. Your computer crashes.
2. Your computer is putting out an usual sound when it crashes.
3. You monitor is displaying irregular lines and colors.

My guess is a hardware problem.:
1. It could be related to not enough RAM or bad RAM. We don't have any information on RAM.
2. It could be a failing graphich card.
3. You could also have a failing hard drive.

Or iftcould be software related:
1.. Your security is 'ntl netguard' which is primarily an antivirus program- you do not mention any spyware/adware programs.
2. Maintenance is not mentioned and it could be a system overloaded with files that need to be cleaned up. (this may be a contributing fact, but not all)

It is most likely a combination of hardware/software problems.

Please fill in any missing information so that we can know what we're working with.

There’s no need to dwell on SP2 vs SP3 (in this thread). But there’s no need to ignore the question either. Especially since statements and challenges to the value of installing SP3 vs. just keeping SP2 + updates has been raised in more then this one thread.

I started a separate thread and welcome comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back