TechSpot

VGA graphics offline

By LukeyJB
Aug 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey, I've recently had my laptop returned from the repair center and I've installed The Sims 3. Now, before I sent my laptop to them for repairs Sims 3 worked fine, now it has a problem with my Graphics. I get an error message saying:

"Unable to start game

Device 0 cannot run this title.
    No supported video graphics card detected. Please check your system hardware."

I ran EA's Easy Info V3 tool and everything passes their tests except from the 'Display Adapter Memory' Sims 3 requires 13kb and mine was showing 0kb. I looked at the advanced info and it showed that the 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' is offline, I was looking into this a bit and found that I actually need to download this from my Graphics Manufacturers website. I went onto Acer and couldn't find anything, I have never been good at looking for and installing patches and updates for my hardware and always need help with it because I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Can anybody help me with what I need to download, where to get it and how to install?

I have an Acer Aspire 5536 Laptop and the graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Install the latest Radeon drivers from ATi. www.ati.com

Top right of the page, download drivers...

Select Notebook graphics
    Mobility radeon series
    Mobility radeon HD 3xxxx series
    Finally select your OS, and then click view results.

From the page which opens, download the "Catalyst Software Suite"

Once downloaded, install it, and then reboot your notebook.

Then try the game again. :)

3. LukeyJB

LukeyJB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

I was on that page earlier and was a bit hesitative on installing it as it said in bold at the bottom "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK so that kind of threw me off of it! Thanks, I'll install it and post results tomorrow (early morning tomorrow!)

4. Leeky

Unless it specifically says in the results page your laptop isn't supported, you should be quite safe to install it.

Its always wise to have the most up to date catalyst software installed any how. :)

5. LukeyJB

What results page? I'm no good at this stuff

6. Leeky

The results page that opens once you've filled in the details in my first as explained in my first post.

On that page, it will clearly tell you any manufacturers it doesn't recommend you use it with.

Whats your OS, and I'll look for you now.

7. LukeyJB

Windows Vista 32 bit. thanks!

8. Leeky

Given that information, your fine to go ahead and install catalyst.

The download link is here: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/920...mobile/10-7_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc.exe

9. LukeyJB

Ok, thanks man. I'll have to do it tomorrow, I'll post information here!

10. LukeyJB

Are you sure this will fix my VGA problem?

11. Leeky

It contains the drivers required to recognise your graphics card in your notebook. I can't tell you 100%, as there are so many variables. You don't exactly have much to lose. lol.

12. LukeyJB

Okay thanks, I'll do it now

I'm installing now and I've got the Overall Progress at the top bar and on the bottom bar it says 'Currently Installing: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable and it's not moving on from there...

13. Leeky

It'll take a little while mate. :)

14. LukeyJB

I have a problem. During the installation, I had to leave the laptop unattended so I went to lock it as usual but instead of pressing Lock I pressed Restart. When I pressed restart, all the windows closed and I had the blue vista background and it said:

'Updating: Update 28 of 98, please do not power off or unplug your machine'

and it said that all the way until 98, then did the usual 3 step configuration and put me back on my laptop, this process took about an hour. Was that the whole graphics driver update during that time?

15. LukeyJB

Ah! It worked, EasyInfo shows a pass at 256MB, and I thought I only had a 58MB.

Thanks a lot for your help!

16. Leeky

Ref your second from last post: It sounds like it was doing updates at the same time.

No worries, glad it worked for you. :)