TechSpot

Vga problem

By Nubbage
Feb 19, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. help...... I recently reinstalled windows xp home edition on my computer and am having the vga compatibility problem that I see seems to be quite common. my computer is a dell dimension e521..... would very much welcome some advice

ty... Steve
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

What exactly do you mean a "VGA compatibility problem" and in what way is it common (post link(s) to what you're referring to)? Explain the problem in more detail...

Have you installed all of the device drivers for your PC after reinstalling Windows?

Click Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Ok. See any question marks on your devices in this window?
  3. Nubbage

Nubbage Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

ty for responding Zenosincks

after installing the drivers I am still getting the yellow question mark exclamation point in device manager next to video controller... with vga compatible next to it..

also, am getting the same thing for pci simple communications controller...
  4. Matthew

You probably didn't install the proper video drivers. The PCI Simple Communications Controller drivers are more than likely drivers to a 56k modem you have installed in your PC.

Please post your Dell Service Tag. How to find your Service Tag...
  5. Cerberus

Cerberus Newcomer, in training Posts: 57

Hmmmmm....

Have you tried uninstalling the driver via device manager? The system should automatically detect the HW and reinstall the driver on startup :)
  6. ScRibE

ScRibE Newcomer, in training Posts: 28

dell has great web support page. Visit dell and enter your model number, they should carry all the drivers for your machine
  7. Matthew

Man Cerberus and ScRibE, I wish I had thought of something like that :(.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.