Vgasave problem

I have been searching the internet for a while and have become very pissed off that nvidia cant fix my problem.

Anyways i have an error mesage when i type (powercfg -h on)
"there are one or more legacy drivers installed:
VgaSave"

??? what the hell... i have the most recent nvidia driver and my computer can see my nvidia graphics card. i can even edit settings using the nvidia control panel

thanks i thought it was a problem only related to vista but i do have vista home premium 32bit on a dell inspiron 1520. That guide helped me clear some old drivers but i did not have any display related hidden drivers. I have no idea what to do and it is so aggravating not being able to put my laptop into sleep mode let alone hibernate.

This is about all I have found so far, this at least should get hibernation to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929658

Perhaps you could tell me what the script is supposed to do that you are using (powercfg -h on) , I have not been able to find it listed anywhere.

Could you also tell me why you are using script to try and set the power options instead of using the Power Options feature available from Control Panel.

this command is used to turn hibernate on it is the shorter version of "powercfg /hibernate on". The reason i am using the script is because its the only way i know of to turn on hibernate when it is hidden by windows

the powercfg /a in the link did help me see what else is not available:
standby <s1> standby <s2> standby <s3> hibernate and hybrid sleep.

All the reasons for the standby state's are "there are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent this standby state: VgaSave"
Hibernate: i already mentioned
hybrid sleep: has no explanation

also i ran the fix it link and all it did was say it was finished.... nothing changed.
at this point just getting sleep to work would be welcomed although i still have no idea what the problem is.(could it be my firmware)

after doing some digging i thought i would try and uninstall then reinstall service pack 2. yet when i view installed updates all i see related to sp2 is a compatibility pack for Microsoft office. the computer says it has sp2 but could this be the problem. or have i opened a whole new can of words.

thanks that helped with the uninstall of sp2 however i also found that the following can wake my pc:
PCI bus
ACPI Power Button
ACPI Lid
Direct Application Launch Button
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem
HID-compliant device (012)
HID-compliant device (015)
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard (002)
HID-compliant consumer control device (028)
HID-compliant device (019)
Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448
Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 283F
Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 2841
Intel(R) ICH8 Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 2845
High Definition Audio Controller
Mobile Intel(R) PM965/GM965/GL960 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
UMBus Enumerator
UMBus Enumerator (001)
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying device (002)
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying device (005)
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying device (008)
Logitech Driver Interface (007)
Logitech Driver Interface (010)
Logitech Driver Interface (012)
Logitech Driver Interface (015)
Logitech Driver Interface (019)

This seems like a lot and i am wondering if one of these may have been removed with a driver update and now the pc is majorly confused as to how to wake up now so it just simply wont sleep. Is there a way to fix or test this

also when i run powercfg /a in administrator the message is:
C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /a
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent this standby state:
VgaSave
Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
There are one or more legacy drivers installed which prevent this standby state:
VgaSave
Standby (S3)
VgaSave
Hibernate
There are one or more legacy drivers installed:
VgaSave
Hybrid Sleep

the firmware massage i have not seen before and i am 100% positive that all the updated drivers are installed and i am not missing any windows updates.

I hope you dont mind such huge posts but i am trying to give as much info as i can with out makeing asumptions of what is and is not revelent info.

any ways while flipping threw the nvidia geforce 8600m gt tabs, i noticed that in the recources tab a few things stood out.
there is a symbol of a microchip next to each resource(or a blue rectangle with legs) im not sure.
they read:
[rectangle symbol] memory range FD000000 - FDFFFFFF
[rectangle symbol] memory range E0000000 - EFFFFFFF
[rectangle symbol] memory range FA000000 - FBFFFFFF
[rectangle symbol] I/O Range EF00 - EF7F
[rectangle symbol] IRQ 0x00000010 (16)

now the symbol changes to a rectangle symbol with a cancel circle around it, like a no smoking sign circle with the blue rectangle as the cigaret

they read:
[no rectangle symboling] I/O Range 03B0 - 03BB
[no rectangle symboling] I/O Range 03C0 - 03DF
[no rectangle symboling] Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF

All of them have a conflictinng divice list that reads:
Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
\Driver\VgaSave
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
\Driver\VgaSave
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
\Driver\VgaSave

I think I may have found the problem but what in the name of all things that make me want to cut myself do i do.

Everything you have listed above looks normal to me, all the items that can wake the PC are as they should be. The problem still remains with this VgaSave service.

I investigated the problem a bit more and have seen several threads suggesting this could be resolved by reinstalling the motherboards chipset drivers. You would have to get these from the manufacturers site, look for the chipset drivers. I would also go into device manager and uninstall the graphics drivers and then reinstall from the driver disc or download and point the "Found new Hardware Wizard" to the driver.

If you have trouble with this please provide the make and model of the PC and the details of the motherboard. If you don't have the motherboard details, either look at the board and post the numbers or name that is on the board or use this software to locate the details.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Portable-SIW-Free-Download-104178.html

In general VGASAVE is used when there is no suitable video driver (or it
fails).

Check the website of your computer for Vista drivers for your video card.

Back