VHS DVD problem

My old VHS is slowly giving up the ghost and so we have decided to move with the times and get one of those DVD/HDD recorder things. The problem is that we have a stack of store bought videos that my kids still want to watch. I'm not looking to start a pirate movie business but I think it fair for me to copy those movies over to DVD for personal use. Does anyone have any suggestions or links that can help? Cheers in advance.

VHS tapes shouldn't have any copy protection so I'm not sure what the problem is here. Store bought ones were 'protected' so you couldn't record over them, but that was fixable with a piece of tape over the square hole on the bottom left of the long skinny, non-tape side, but that wouldn't have anything to do with copying those to dvd. Home made dvds aren't going to have any copy protection.

Something like this would work fine: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DVR620-DVD-Recorder-Black/dp/B001T6K7G6 There are cheaper ones, but that was the first link I found.

Good call papa, I had forgotten about that. But thats on a relatively low percentage of VHS tapes.

I recently bought a Panasonic VHS/DVD with built in Freeview, it lets you record from VHS to DVD and vice versa but only if the video or disc are NOT pre-recorded ( I.e shop bought) as there is some sort of Write-Protect code that does not allow this operation.

Back