VIA High Definition audio

Hello Everyone

My girlfriend bought me a new computer as the last one decided to die on me. I have had this new one now for around a month .. its not a massively high tech machine .. with really sophisticated graphics cards an stuff .. but its doe's the trick for keeping me in touch with the outiside world .. tho I do have a problem with I think is the sound card/driver .. I am not a total computer boffin who knows alot of deep in theory stuff about computers .. but I would like to think I know my fair share .. anyway the problem is that I get quite alot of crackling noises from my speakers everytime I play my music via my windows media player .. so naturally I did alittle research on the net .. when I came across a site that had the option to download AUDIGY SOUND CARD DRIVERS .. which solves crackling sound problems .. downloading from the mirror option was great .. but when I tried to open it via a burning programme called>> ImgBurn .. well ImgBurn just kept prompting me that the file was an>> invalid or unsupported image file format .. the iso being>> SBAXWXCD .. even when I downloaded the ImgBurn programme .. well with the actual download .. there was a step by step picture/text tutorial of how to load up the iso file properly .. so I knew that I did everything the right way .. but after a few attempts I just gave up .. hence>> invalid or unsupported image file format .. then I came across this site and found the option to download>> VIA HD Audio driver package v 5.20b .. so I went to my system properties in control panel via device manager and checked out the version of the driver that I had and its a VIA High Definition Audio 6.0.1.8300 .. so that is slightly below v 5.20b .. but of course that may be from its last update .. from whatever version it was beforehand .. but then I also noticed that in the>> sound . video . game controllers list .. that the 'driver usage' window is blank in 'audio codecs' .. 'legacy audio drivers' .. 'legacy video capture devices' .. 'media controll devices' and 'video codecs' .. is that normal? .. only the 'driver usage' window is enabled in VIA High Definition Audio Properties.

anyway I have before today opened up a computer cabinet .. so I am not entirely reluctant about dong something like that .. although because I am totally in the dark about what may be causing the 'crackling' sounds .. I don't want to start faffing around with delving into the cabinet of the computer where all the slots are .. oh this is my motherboard>> M4N68T-M V2 Motherboard. (purrs like a kitten tho)

I am slightly getting worried now only I know that it can be sorted out somehow only I need some help and I would be greatly appreciated for any feedback on this topic

thank you so much in advance

p.s. to the owners of this forum .. I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Okay,
what version of Windows are you running? Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

"legacy audio drivers' .. 'legacy video capture devices' .. 'media controll devices' and 'video codecs' .. is that normal?"... YES

Be sure to run Windows Update until there are no more updates found

well i ava ran windows update till i wos blue in the face and also I am running windows xp .. also in regard to the yellow exclamation marks .. well i have looked already in the device manager and there are none to be seen ..... thats what baffles me ... maybe that means that the driver is connected properly .. not sure tho.

So you're sure you have the correct sound driver? If so, and your still having sound issues, consider adding a PCI sound card, and disable the on-board sound

how do I do that and yes I know that my driver is VIA High Definition Audio 6.0.1.8300 .. as it says so in the device manager in the sound, video and game controllers category .. tho when you say add a pci sound card .. is that something I have to do myself like open up my computer cabinet and slot it in the motherboard .. or can I just download it as a software .. when it gets to this level in theory of computers .. well I must admit I am a total dunce as I get confused .. could you maybe explain to me what would be the best way to give it a try>>hence adding a pci card & disabling the on-board sound ..

how do I actually find out what driver that I do have .. it says this>> VIA High Definition Audio 6.0.1.8300 in>> sounds, video and game controllers via device manager .. but is that the right information of knowing what driver I have. if not .. could you plz tell me how I can know.

thankx for all your help on this topic.

Yes it is fairly simple to add a PCI sound card. Open up the case and you will see 2 or 3 white plastic sockets on the motherboard. These are PCI sockets. Buy a brand-name PCI sound card from Best Buy or a similar retailer and disable the on-board sound in the computers bios, by continually pressing DEL or F2 or F10 on the keyboard, when the computer is first starting up, depending on your computers model. The bios screen will be displayed. Look for "Advanced" or "on-board" audio devices. There should be directions telling you how to change the lines. Using "enter" "plus or minus" or "page up, page down"

hey thankx for the input .. I totally appreciate it .. though I think I will do some further research before I start thinking of opening up the case and dabbling about inside .. I have visited various forums and found that it could be one of many things .. like my drivers may need updating .. audio/bios .. so I have asked my retailer to send me the installation disc for the motherboard .. I have seperated all the leads behind my computer which was like a spaggetti juntion at one point .. I have disconnected the speakers to .. with only the headphones on .. but I still got the crackling/stuttering noises coming through the headphones .. so I know its not my speakers .. hopefully this problem will be sorted out soon .. but I will let you know when it is sorted out and what was causing the crackling/stuttering noises coming through my speakers.

also how do I know what audio drivers I have .. I have seen what is inside the list of sounds, video, game controllers via device manager.. but is that the correct way of knowing.

thankx again for your help.

hey just to let you know I managed to locate an audio driver the same one as I had .. being the most present updated version ..so I downloaded it/installed it and hey presto .. it worked like a charm.

so thankx anyway for your feedback

Back