TechSpot

Via introduces ultra-small Mobile-ITX platform

By Justin
Dec 2, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Via's portfolio of small hardware grew this week, with the announcement of its Mobile-ITX form factor. Measuring a mere 6cm square, Mobile-ITX's footprint is half the size of Pico-ITX. Based on existing x86 designs, it is a modular form factor aimed at ultra-compact and low-power uses.

Read the whole story
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

this seems like a great product i cant believe how small it is and how man different things can be added. i do like that it is rugged which helps especially if you have kids or are accident prone like me lol.
  3. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

Wow that's tiny! Any word on pricing? Since VIA's current Pico-ITX board currently runs for a bit over 200 dollars, my guess is this board will not come cheap.
  4. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Amazing how tiny sized the platform is..
  5. freedomthinker

freedomthinker TS Enthusiast Posts: 140

I will be honest , i don't even know whats this thing for ;D
  6. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Enthusiast Posts: 326   +18

As long as a phone has a keyboard, I'm all good... :D
  7. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +99

Awesome little piece of tech, now if they could show a product using it that would be even better.
  8. Moltar

Moltar TS Rookie Posts: 57

To commnet on Adhmuz, All this cool stuff gets posted but I never know what it is used for or what type of products use it. Some real world examples would be nice.
  9. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 681   +46

I can't wait till it's smaller bc it said ultra small but it doesn't look that small
  10. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 902   +52

Yet another impressive piece form Via. Now if only I was able to buy one I'd be really happy.
  11. WakeMO

WakeMO TS Rookie Posts: 18

Wow. I hope they make a tablet with this.

12. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Looks nice and small, how does it run Crysis?
  13. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Haha

And I thought the Atom/Micro ITX was small!
  14. bitMorph3r

bitMorph3r TS Rookie

a tablet pc is the perfect thing this board can end up into. great competitor for tegra, albeit i don't know if it's 1080p compatible.
  15. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

With the C7 at 1.6GHz, this will run worse than the Atom in most respects. VIA will probably claim it can handle 1080p, but not if you're watching DivX, xvid etc.. The Chrome GPU supports hardware video decoding, but in terms of performance, is on par with Intel's last-generation video chipsets. Needless to say, gaming is nearly an impossibility.

But at least the C7-M is 64-bit, unlike the Atom which means there is the potential to stuff this with tons of memory. I'm afraid the form factor will make that a little difficult though, but I do see this as cool for a 'carputer', file server and other special-purpose uses.

Using it as a regular computer sounds painful, though. I want my tablet to be responsive to my touches. I'm not sure this thing can deliver that except for email and Facebook.
  16. lfg18

lfg18 TS Rookie Posts: 86

Well the size of this thing is certainly impressive, netbooks will become smaller haha, I don't think I would use a product based on this thing, I don't think it can handle my everyday needs and tasks, probably will be ok for students or people just wnating to check their facebook account, impressive but not for me.
  17. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,056   +97

With this we'll have smaller and more powerful mobile devices. Soon we'll be holding the power of a modern PC in the palm of our hands. Doesn't the future look good?
  18. TechDisciple

TechDisciple TS Rookie Posts: 41

wow tiny but yet powerful, wat else can we ask for.
  19. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

That is quite incredible! I cannot believe they have managed to back that much punch into something so small! Soon a Server will be the size of a Laptop hard drive! Imagine the space saving and cost saving from lower power consumption!
  20. manintech

manintech TS Rookie Posts: 46

This would be a perfect platform for netbooks, they are just gonna be lighter and lasts longer
  21. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

What, even VIA doesn't want to use its Nano processor?
  22. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Faster, Smaller, Cheaper. Keep up the trend!!
  23. fref

fref TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

That is one tiny computer! Not sure if it's powerful enough, but if it can play videos, it would be great in the living room connected to a TV.
  24. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

I could see something like this being incorporated into a nice big HD television, creating a sweet smart TV with limited PC capabilities... There are actually any number of interesting application (many of them dealing with industrial embedded systems) that a product like this could enhance, or even make possible.

I've actually got an older VIA single-board system attached to the back of my second monitor on my gaming system at home... I put together a nice little cheap unit that runs Linux and does nothing but host my Ventrilo communications server... A little overkill, but hey I was bored, had some extra parts lying around, and an idea popped into my head... Some of you know how it is!
  25. BlackIrish

BlackIrish TS Rookie Posts: 84

Too bad AMD's Congo platform is now about and it probably destroys this thing (it also has a Radeon 3200 HD, and it's made for netbooks!)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.