VIA ships integrated Athlon 64 chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
VIA has begun shipping its Athlon 64 chipset, the K8M800 - the world's first integrated chipset for the 64-bit AMD processor, it claims.

You might wonder why a workhorse like the Athlon 64 would be paired with an relatively low-spec. integrated graphics core, given the focus of 64-bit computing on high bandwidth applications, but VIA reckons there's demand for the part "beyond the realms of high-end workstations and gaming PCs".

And AMD certainly claims the 64-bit chip is a better 32-bit processor than its previous 32-bit Athlons. VIA presumably wants to appeal to system builders who feel the same.

Read more: The Register.

It will be interesting to see how many/which of the motherboard manufacturers pick it up, and in what way they'll offer it...

As a low-cost mobo it might do quite well for business machines... But that again depends on what prices the Athlon has reached by the time the mobo's come out...

If it's still high it might end up being a big miss...

.02$

I would really be surprised if this takes off.

I cannot imagine who would buy a shiny new Athlon 64 with a "relatively low-spec. integrated graphics core." Perhaps for a mid to low range server of some sort, but how many of those will be made with this chipset? Perhaps a new lower-budget Athlon 64 will come out, then it will make practical sense.

Now I fully understand VIAs reasoning behind developing a chipset of this type, but who would buy it?

Originally posted by Vehementi
Now I fully understand VIAs reasoning behind developing a chipset of this type, but who would buy it?

Probably 99% of businesses who don't need anything other then 2D. Intel has the biggest share of the video market after nVidia & they only have integrated solutions available.

You don't need high end graphis for many things. If you need a workstation for running memory-hungry mathematical simulations, a basic graphics controller is all you need. Same goes for development systems - no need to watch compiler progress in realtime 3D at 200 FPS.

VIA could make a killing on these boards in the business/workstation area if they market the boards right.

Just imagine if VIA were to sell their motherboard chipset supporting the fastest 64-bit processor available at an affordable rate. It's a win-win situation for the companies who buy them, especially in mass quantities.

However, I doubt many business will be attracted to the board should it prove to be very costly, especially considering the other options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back