TechSpot

VIA updates APC mini ARM PC line with $79 Rock, $99 Paper

By Matthew
Jan 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Following the Raspberry Pi's cult-like reception, many companies scrambled to enter the DIY palm-sized PC market, including VIA, which started shipping its 6.7 x 3.3-inch APC for $49 last summer. That device ran Android 2.3 Gingerbread and offered an 800MHz...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

You hear about the raspberry pi as opposed to these because the raspberry pi was cheap...dont get me wrong, these have some sort of market, but the appeal of a 35 dollar computer far outdoes that of a 80 dollar computer.

3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I love my Raspberry Pi, but it's got a few limitations... A good solid usable port of Android has yet to be finished - you can do v2.3 now with no hardware accel and dog slow performance, or very buggy unfinished builds of 4.0 that need serious work to be ready for prime time. These VIA products ship with a solid version of Android right out of the box, so you can just plug them in and go. The Pi is more of a base level tinkering device, while these let you hit the ground running.

Matthew likes this.
  4. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Do you have to use Android? I thought there are linux distros that work well with these.

5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

people primarily are using linux but are working on an android port. And I agree, the pi is more of a tinkering device, but the via ones dont have a whole lot of use going for them in terms of capabilities, which is why the pi is more widely sold and known, because why use a Via for multimedia when you can build a full featured desktop or use a cheap old laptop

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

You don't HAVE to use Android. Yes, there are plenty of Linux distro versions, and some of them work very well. But, having a system with a native OS right out of the box gives the VIA systems an easier point of entry, which could potentially appeal to a wider audience than the more hardcore tinkerers.

Plus, with Android you have access to a big library of apps and programs readily available. Ironically, this is one thing that became important to me: you have Netflix access with Android! My RaspBMC system is nice, but lack of Linux native Netflix is a bit of the kiss of death in my household...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.