VIA VL800 chipset for USB 3.0 giving problems on my Gigabyte Z77x-D3H

Mikymjr

I recently bought this board(1 week ago) and noticed after installing windows 8 with all the drivers from the disk, that all my USB ports randomly started having problems recognizing certain USB devices such as a wireless dongle and a few wireless mouse and keyboard combos. There were no problems with any USB-storage devices. There are no yellow marks in device manager. I have updated the drivers, to what was on gigabyte their website, but it didn't workout. Did the same after installing Windows 7 to no avail. Have done some research and it seems there are problems regarding VIA VL800 chipset. I disabled it and it seems to help. Although it might not be the case, cause I've only tested it for 2 hours now without problems. But that means there are 4 USB3.0 ports on the back I can't use. Any suggestions please. Thanks in advance

You dont wanna disable a chipset. That is the basically the heart of the PC. The CPU is the brain and the chipset is the heart. Without it, a lot of things can go wrong. I cant seem to find USB3 drivers on the Gigabyte site. Usually when I give poeple drivers from new machines, there is usually a USB 3 driver. Pretty odd. Head on over here and install the chipset driver: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4325&dl=1#driver. On the site it is listed as "Intel INF installation". If this doesnt work, I would recommend sending back the motherboard with a complaint about USB 3 not working. Never install drivers from the disk by the way. Also, the chipset driver I provided may not be 100% up to date, but I am pretty sure it is. I would give you the Intel version that may be more up to date but their download section is down.

You dont wanna disable a chipset. That is the basically the heart of the PC. The CPU is the brain and the chipset is the heart. Without it, a lot of things can go wrong. I cant seem to find USB3 drivers on the Gigabyte site. Usually when I give poeple drivers from new machines, there is usually a USB 3 driver. Pretty odd. Head on over here and install the chipset driver: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4325&dl=1#driver. On the site it is listed as "Intel INF installation". If this doesnt work, I would recommend sending back the motherboard with a complaint about USB 3 not working. Never install drivers from the disk by the way. Also, the chipset driver I provided may not be 100% up to date, but I am pretty sure it is. I would give you the Intel version that may be more up to date but their download section is down.

Thanks JC713. I already went to that site though. But you are making sense about all the drivers found on that disk. I'll try it. And also I meant, I only disabled the VIA VL800 chip which controls the USB3.0 ports ^^. The VIA chip was crammed on to the board by Gigabyte to add 4 more ports at the rear. The Via chip links to the Z77 chipset, through PCI-E X1.
I wouldn't wanna disable that Z77 chipset working with that i5 =p
I'll do a fresh install again with all the drivers from that site

Make sure you fresh install it completely! Some people think they are fresh installing but instead are just overwriting. You seem like you know what you are talking about though :).

Make sure you fresh install it completely! Some people think they are fresh installing but instead are just overwriting. You seem like you know what you are talking about though :).

Yes, I understand what you mean ^^. I have seen others do that and have all kinds of problems. I'll do a clean install later after trying to find this culprit. But to get back on the issue. I noticed my wireless dongle act up. It suddenly couldn't see any network, but it was still functioning. So I removed that and just installed the VIA drivers from the site with the Via chip enabled and works fine now. I installed a PCI Wireless card from Advantek (realtek 8185L) for wireless networking. The only issue I still have is however that my wireless mouse and keyboard combo logitech MK260 randomly lag or stop working. Right now I'm only using a Wired Logitech K120 keyboard that's working fine and only the wireless mouse of that combo

You might try these drivers, from the VIA website http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]VL800/801 & 805/806 Superspeed USB Host Controller Driver 2.10B – Released Jan 21, 2013[/FONT]

Usually the chip manufacturer's drivers are more up-to-date than the motherboard drivers. Also, make sure that the ports are holding the plug tightly - on my Asus P8Z77-V the Asmedia USB 3.0 ports are loose, causing them to disconnect from a touch or a stiff breeze. To mitigate this I pull them out very slightly, and they seem to hold tighter.

If I was thinking of getting the P8Z77-V board, do you think it is still a good decision?
I'm very happy with mine, the USB port quality is the only issue I've had with it. I bought a $30 2 x USB 3.0 card to plug up my 2 external drives, and I don't really need the Asmedia ports. The board is positioned dead middle in the Asus channel board lineup, and so it has all the stuff you need for a decent single or double GPU rig, without any unneeded (& expensive) add-ons, but it does includes a separate WIFI card you can screw on or leave off. And of course, the best UEFI BIOS in the business.

Yup, I have used ASUS a ton. Great products. Arent Asmedia ports faster than the ones powered by the chipset?

Sorry it took me a while. The Asus board does seem solid. I have seen others use that board with very little to no problems. I solved my issue by discarding the wireless dongle and wireless keyboard and mouse combo. I'm using another wireless dongle from my mom and it works perfect so obvious there is an issue with my wireless dongle. The wireless keyboard and mouse doesn't seem to be supported by my gigabyte board. Can be a driver conflict maybe, because this same wireless keyboard and mouse works perfect on my mom's pc

This is what I have figured out about this issue so far:
1. It is MB independent. - It does it on 2 of my MB (775 and 1155 sockets) and many others as witnessed by the posts.
2. It occurs with any driver version - 1.90, 2.10, 4.00 -- although I am actually not sure about 1.90, I may go back and reload that one.
3. It appears to be a problem with the Etron version of the USB3 chip as well.
4. It has not occurred for me when I have not been using my browser (IE of FF).
5. It does not occur when I have a device plugged into one of the USB ports or card port. (currently have an SD micro plugged in.)
6. The 'normal' DPCs for this device take about 1800usec to complete. MS spec is for DPCs to complete in under 1000usec.
7. The Mfg for this device is unknown & unreachable for technical support and VIA won't talk to end users so the probability of this issue being resolved is very low.

Back