Viber launches messaging app for PC and Mac as competitors stick to mobile

Dave LeClair

Third-party messaging applications are big business on mobile, with many users looking to break away from the expensive text messaging plans offered by carriers. WhatsApp is likely the most used of these apps, but Viber is looking to take the throne away with the launch of its messaging client on PC and Mac (with Linux coming soon). WhatsApp, and most of Viber's competitors, are 100-percent focused on mobile, which just might give Viber an edge in the market, since its users will be able to use the app on all of their devices.

viber mac messaging messenger for windows messenger for mac

Viber already has over 200 million users, so it's not exactly a newcomer trying to take on the big boys. But while the service has that many users signed up, the company did not specify how many of them are active users.

The Mac and PC versions of Viber should feel comfortable to anyone who has used Skype, Messages for Mac, or any other popular desktop-based messaging service. It can be used for texting, voice calls, and video chats. The video chat feature only works from desktop-to-desktop for the time being.

To go along with the desktop releases, Viber is also updating its mobile applications with some slick new features such as video messages, new stickers, last online status and more. As you'd expect, the desktop version syncs with the mobile apps, and users can even push their calls from desktop to mobile with a single tap, allowing them to continue a conversation if they have to leave the house for one reason or another. 

Will this move put Viber ahead of WhatsApp and its other competitors? Time will tell, but it most certainly seems like a smart decision, what with so many users spending a large part of their day in front of computer screens.

Permalink to story.

Atlast.... viber answer my prayers.. Skype app in mobile is power hungry. now I can use viber if I want to talk to someone using a PC. :)

Hi,
This is an official representative from Viber. :)
We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

Best regards,
the Viber Team.

Actually, it's not that new ;)

Since Viber's launch (more than 2.5 years ago), we've been sending representatives across the Internet to assist our users directly in forums, blogs, etc.

I wonder why people are always in a hurry to try out something new without reading the FAQ or any limitations the software might have.

I have 2 mobile services for 2 different circles that I frequent to avoid expensive roaming charges. BTW there are no roaming charges for receiving text messages. Roaming as yet is not free here in India, a situation that is likely to be remedied before the year end. I have viber installed on both the phones. Any how I installed the software on my Win 7 OS. Received the Viber code within seconds. In less than 30 seconds of activating my account I had my contacts list updated. I sent a message to my second phone which was received again within seconds. So I have to say that it works. What I have to now figure out how to have my message history between the phone and the desktop synchronised.

I can't believe this. Just yesterday I installed an Android emulator to be able to use Viber on my desktop. I guess I will be getting rid of it now.

Back