TechSpot

Viber launches messaging app for PC and Mac as competitors stick to mobile

By Dave LeClair
May 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Third-party messaging applications are big business on mobile, with many users looking to break away from the expensive text messaging plans offered by carriers. WhatsApp is likely the most used of these apps, but Viber is looking to take the...

    Read more
     
  2. aarassaeed

    aarassaeed TS Rookie

    Tha good messaging of MESSENGER ////////
     
  3. TheDreams

    TheDreams TS Booster Posts: 566   +47

    Is this better then Skype or essentially the same thing as Skype?
     
  4. It doesnt work :s im still waiting for activation code :s
     
  5. JC713

    JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

    Less features and more glitchy most likely (I havent used it, but I am assuming).
     
  6. dennis777

    dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

    Atlast.... viber answer my prayers.. Skype app in mobile is power hungry. now I can use viber if I want to talk to someone using a PC. :)
     
  7. TheDreams

    TheDreams TS Booster Posts: 566   +47

    Ok thanks, just wondering because 95% of time on Skype its "Can you hear me now?" and the other 5% is actual talking.hahaa
     
  8. JC713

    JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

    lol, so true!
     
  9. Viber

    Viber TS Rookie

    Hi,
    This is an official representative from Viber. :)
    We are thrilled about our new releases, and we hope that our users and fans out there will make the most out of them!

    As usual, we're here to address our users' questions and doubts directly. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know :)

    Best regards,
    the Viber Team.
     
    pmshah likes this.
  10. JC713

    JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

    That is new lol.^
     
  11. TheDreams

    TheDreams TS Booster Posts: 566   +47

    Ya haha I was thinking the same.
     
     
  12. Viber

    Viber TS Rookie

    Actually, it's not that new ;)

    Since Viber's launch (more than 2.5 years ago), we've been sending representatives across the Internet to assist our users directly in forums, blogs, etc.
     
    pmshah likes this.
  13. JC713

    JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

    Good stuff.
     
  14. pmshah

    pmshah TS Rookie Posts: 82

    I wonder why people are always in a hurry to try out something new without reading the FAQ or any limitations the software might have.

    I have 2 mobile services for 2 different circles that I frequent to avoid expensive roaming charges. BTW there are no roaming charges for receiving text messages. Roaming as yet is not free here in India, a situation that is likely to be remedied before the year end. I have viber installed on both the phones. Any how I installed the software on my Win 7 OS. Received the Viber code within seconds. In less than 30 seconds of activating my account I had my contacts list updated. I sent a message to my second phone which was received again within seconds. So I have to say that it works. What I have to now figure out how to have my message history between the phone and the desktop synchronised.

    I can't believe this. Just yesterday I installed an Android emulator to be able to use Viber on my desktop. I guess I will be getting rid of it now.
     


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.