Video Card – CRT and TV output

By JohnL28
Jan 3, 2006
  1. I’m looking for a good video card that I can hook to both my CRT display and a PC (via either S-video or an RCA jack). Ideally the video card software will control the display setting of both the CRT (1280x1024) and TV (800x600) independently and display both at the same time.

    I have the Radeon All-in-one card now and it is driving me nuts. It works perfectly if it is CRT alone. If you add the TV, the CRT display looks terrible (it looks like it brings both to 800x600). And you can’t adjust each separately.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Vaerilis

    Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 54

    Most newer cards (with TV-out) can do exactly what you want.
    If I recall correctly, every single nVidia card since the FX series and every ATI card since around the same time (sorry, it was a long time ago, it was either the 9000 or the 9700 series) can control two displays and adjust the resolutions of them separately.
    For example, my FX5900 can display something on the CRT, and the same thing on the TV just fine.
  3. Nodsu

    Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

    Try to get an nVidia card since AFAIK those can do both S-Video and composite TV-out. ATi does only S-Video and you need to buy extra hardware if you happen to have a television set that doesn't support SVHS input.
  4. zachig

    zachig TS Rookie Posts: 23

    Yeah, Vaerilis is absolutely right. Almost ALL video cards today support both CRT connection along with a TV-Out feature. It all depends on what you plan to do with your Video Card: watch movies, video-editing, play games. It also depends on your budget, and then I can recommend you a specific model.
  5. JohnL28

    JohnL28 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    I appreciate the responses. I am actually looking to play non-games (i.e. PowerDVD, PhotoShop Elements, etc) on the display and show it about 15 feet away on a TV via an s-video cable.

    95% of the time I will only use the PC display (at 1280x1024 resolution). The other 5% I would like to show exactly what is on the PC display on a TV about 15 feet away. It would be great if I can simply set up both the PC and TV once then display on the TV when I need to.

    Any video card suggestions would be great. THANKS!
  6. zachig

    zachig TS Rookie Posts: 23

    What's your budget, JohnL28?
  7. JohnL28

    JohnL28 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    I would preferrably like keep it under $200, if possible. I really don't need a high-end gaming card. Just one with the dual output ability that I described. Thanks again for your help.
  8. zachig

    zachig TS Rookie Posts: 23

    For a budget of ~$200, the best bang-for-the-buck is among these cards:

    1) 6600GT: ~$130 - ~$170 --> I have this one and I'm very satisfied with it.
    2) 6800GS: ~$190 - ~$240

    1) X800GT: ~$130 - ~$170
    2) X800PRO: ~$185 - ~$205
    3) X800XL: ~$195 - ~$275

    Hope this helps. :grinthumb
  9. JohnL28

    JohnL28 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Thanks for the help Zachig. I appreciate it.
  10. zachig

    zachig TS Rookie Posts: 23

    No problem. You're welcome. If you have more questions, don't hesitate. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...