TechSpot

Video Card AGP vs PCI

By redout
Mar 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My "new" mobo won't support AGP 8x - only 2x-4x. I can't find a BIOS flash for it either. Which would be a better use of my money - AGP 4x @ 128mb or PCI @ 128mb (NOT pci express - too expensive).

Thanks....
  2. mattw

mattw TS Rookie Posts: 117

you wouldnt be able to use PCIE anyway... unless you have that AASROCK mobo

dont get pci get agp, you could get a BFG 6800GS which can run at 4x for only £130. and that is 256Mb, 256bit, 12 pixelpipelines etc. extremely good value for money.
  3. redout

redout TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice Matt - even at 130 quid I'm looking more than I have available. What I was able to come up with, however, was replacing the mobo. I can get into a seemingly well rated MSI mobo that will accept my AGP 8x vid card for $80 Canadian and it will accept my 3.4ghz chip I have "lying" around - much less expensive than 130 British (I'm guessing it's almost double that in Canadian funds).
    So far that's what I think I'm going to do - more work, reinstall the OS *again* but I think better in the end.
    Of course more advice is always welcome - nothing like too much info, right....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.