TechSpot

Video card and onboard graphics?

By pw2much
May 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Can I run my on-board graphics and a video card at the same time on the same computer and if so how do I go about enabling both? I have a ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard that I installed a Galaxy GT430 1GB DDR3 128bit video card for which I had to disable the on-board Ati Radeon HD 4200 graphics to work! my question is can I enable both the on-board and the video card at the same time to connect one to a monitor using the vga connector and the other to a hdtv using a hdmi cable? If so how do I enable both? (I cannot use the hdmi on the grapics card because of the space on my computer case where the hdmi is is too tight to put a hdmi cable in! but the mother board has an hdmi connection that I can utilize, can this be done?)

2. pw2much

pw2much TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 110

After writing this post I found the answer in another post that i didn't see at first and found that doing it the way I wanted is not possible but I did some more research and found an adapter that can convert VGA to hdmi on this site: http://aluratek.com/vga-to-hdmi-1080p-adapter-with-audio which I think will solve my problem for now, my monitor is a 19" flat screen tv that doesn't have hdmi,only vga and I have a HDTV and I want to run my computer thru both and I think this adapter will do the trick. will keep you posted on the results of the project when I finally get the adapter. That link should be :http://aluratek.com/vga-to-hdmi-1080p-adapter-with-audio (adapter-with-audio)

3. mpsteel

mpsteel TS Rookie Posts: 16

You can not utilize a on board graphics card and a PCI card at the same time.

What outputs are there on your graphics card and Inputs are there on your TV? If you have a VGA (dsub) on your TV i would stick to a DVI to dsub converter. Its not worth buying a VGA to HDMI converter.

Cheers

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.