Video card and Video card slot Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AGP 2x slot. Can i put an AGP 8x video card into that slot. If so, will i see any performance gain. Or are there video cards that are compatible with all types, like 2x 4x and 8x.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Agp1x/2x are 3.3 volts, whereas Agp4x/8x are 1.5 volts.

You should check carefully that whatever card you get is compatible with you 2x Agp slot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

well with my agp2x, what are some cards that i could get. because i am upgrading to play a game and the system specs on this game for the video card is a geforce 3 series or higher. my comp meets up with all the other specs.

Looks from that chart like the FX5950 or the Radeon 9700 pro would both work... but don't quote me on that.

I'd uh, upgrade your mobo and everything though, because AGP 2x is pretty darn slow for todays graphics needs.

You can get an A64 3000, PCI-E mobo, 1 gb RAM and a 6600, probably for under $500. Plus then you'd have a little headroom for a bigger PCI-E card, and could migrate to Socket AM2 in a year or so when it is released. These parts would also be easier to find then those older cards.

Yup. just newegged it $420 (<- alllllllllrite) for the package I listed above.

schmidtaay said:
Thanx for the suggestions. My dad probably won,t go for the mobo option. I'll have to work him!!!

Explain to him that you're working with technology thats like, 4 generations behind current... The card's you're thinking of upgrading to are 3-4 generations behind current, and that the option I suggested to you is a mid range 1-2 generations behind current...

I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't think you'd get more bang from your buck by doing it.

hey howard that link was very good..but

hey howard,ive had similar problems..as what agp is it.well i looked at your link about agp slots n was very good..buttt..it had a um maybe contadiction,,see im running win xp home edition,mobo= intel d845wn..ram= 768 meg(pc133)..sound is intergrated..have 4 usb ports..6 pci slots..80 gig hard drive...5 fans..lol.oh and video card is radeon 7000 ve..(i pulled it and that was stamped on it)...i ran sandra lite and belarc on it..well the link u had saids the radeon card is a Universal agp card..but my mobo was listed on the site and said it was a AGP 1.5V card..so wow i wonder..oh sandra said its agp capabilites are 2.00 said current data rate = 4x said support= 1x/2x/4x..soo anyway of knowing what i can upgrade too,as it saids 2 diffrent things..one saids a 9800 is okay,while another saids somthing diffrent.thanks..ken n myrtle beach~ 2-16-06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back