Video Card causing erratic behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows Vista Premium 32 bit O/S, with 2 GB of memory, Dual LCD monitors hooked to a new XFXForce ATI Radeon 4600 series dual monitor AGP 8x video card with 1GB of memory on board, it is a powered card hooked to a molex power connector.

Here is my problem, ever since I installed this card my scrolling, typing, mouse clicks, etc. have gotten completely erratic. My typing has gone into a lag behind mode, I am a very poor typist and I am out typing what shows on the screen by 3 fold.

I have went to XFX website and downloaded and installed the most up to date driver they have, I have removed my wireless scroll mouse and replaced it with a usb scroll mouse, I have adjusted ALL of the settings available in the scroll mouse settings menu, I have went into the BIOS and used ctrl + F1 to expose the hidden BIOS settings and increased the AGP aperture to 256mb (I was VERY dissappointed to see that was the max my MO would handle after buying a 1GB card!) but, all of these were to no avail. Nothing I did corrected the issue. While changing the settings in the scroll mouse menu did make a change in the movements it did not eliminate the issue.

ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated as just writing this thread is a super pain under these conditions!

Thanks

I'd suspect the power supply, but we need more system specs, like CPU, motherboard, etc

system update

System Specs

CPU - Asus
Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co, Ltd. 7VT600-P-RZ
Processor - 2.2 ghz AMD Athlon XP
Bus Clock - 200 megahertz
Hard drives - 76.55 GB with 11.28 GB free
- 500.11 GB with 478.4 GB free
Monitors - 19.1" Samsung Syncmaster
- 22.4" Viewsonic
Bus adapter - VIA VT8237 RAID Controller Rev 5
Wireless keyboard - Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1
Wireless Mouse - Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000
Memory - Adata DDR 400 Dual kit 2 GB with heatsink
O/S - Vista Premium 32bit
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series w/ 1 GB dedicated graphics memory
and 507 mb Shared system Memory, Driver ver. 8.661.0.0
DirectX - DirectX 10

Thanks for your response, hope this helps on the specs. If I need to post something else pleasae let me know and i will try to find it. Oh, my power supply is an Ultra and I think it is a 500W unit. i would have to crack the case open to make sure though.

Try lowering the AGP aperture to somewhere in the range of 16-64 MB. You don't need a very big AGP aperture with a 1GB card; too big an aperture is just a waste of system RAM. Otherwise, that CPU is quite dated and probably shouldn't be running Vista, but you said it was working fine before you got this new video card right?

Make sure any drivers for the old video card are uninstalled completely, and that the integrated graphics (if any) are disabled in the BIOS.

If none of this helps, open up the case, take a picture of the power supply sticker with all the voltages and stuff on it, and upload it here.

EDIT: Also try checking the processes tab in task manager. Sort by CPU utilization and see if there is a particular process that is using up a ton of CPU power.

Still working on it

MetalX,
Thanks for all of the tips!

I did lower the AGP aperture back to 16mb although the folks at XFXForce said to do just the opposite. They wanted me to raise it to the highest setting available. But, it was a moot point as neither settings helped the issue.

Yes it was running before but, it was "sluggish" overall which was my reason for a new video card. Vista was telling me my video performance was poor in its rating system so I assumed the thing to do was boost my video card. unfortunatly as you said my system is an older one and did not have a PCI Express slot, only an 8x AGP slot was available.

I used Driver Sweeper and cleaned up the drivers for ALL of the ATI cards and then did a clean reinstall of the latest drivers for my video card and still no change! I could not find an integrated graphics setting in my Bios anywhere, even in the hidden settings.

I will open the case and take a photo of the power supply and post it ASAP but, I am also working with Microsoft on an issue that came up during all of this. The "Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)" update had attempted to load back in 09/24 and 09/25 and failed. Their tech sent me a set of solutions to try and install it and even their file would not install! So I am waiting to resolve this issue as it pertains to the wireless keyboard and mouse and could be the source to all of my troubles. Please check back first of next week and I should know if that is the case. I will post a thumbs up if resolved.

I DID have a CPU hog rooting around in my processes! It was the dvm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) or as you probably know already, the Aero theme settings manager. It was using from 55 to 90 percent of my CPU depending on how many windows I had open. I turned it off and went back to Vista Basic settings!

Thanks again for all of your help and I WILL post soon for help if the issue isn't resolved with Microsoft or I will post and let you know it is OK!

Hopefully Microsoft can help you resolve the issue with your wireless keyboard and mouse, as that seems like it could be the main cause of your input lag problems. I'll wait for your post as to whether they were able to solve the issue or not.

On another note, Desktop Window Manager is an extreme resource hog in Vista on lower end machines, so turning it off should improve general Windows performance, even if it doesn't solve the input lag problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back