Video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppy

I have a Dell Dimension 2100 and am apparantly in need of a new video card for it. I got an NVIDIA GeForce2 card for my old computer and it worked out fine, but when I went to transfer it into my new(er) computer, the Dell 2100, it didn't line up in the slot properly.
Did we try putting it into the wrong slot, or do I actually have to a get a new card that will fit?

So what do you recommend for a cheap card that I can use to play The Sims 2 that will actually work in my computer?

Just checked the stats on the Dimension 2100 and it does not have an AGP port (as rik said). You can ONLY use PCI graphics cards on that system (not to be confused with PCI-E).

Also keep in mind it looks like you have a 145W power supply (with only 4.5amps on the +12v rail) which would also need to be upgraded if you are going to add a graphics card.

You should also ensure that you get a 256 meg card. Even though it only calls for a 128, my daughter had the game, and I had to swap out her 128 and put in a 256. It was just too choppy.

@sghiznaneck It's not so much the amount of memory that matters, but the speed of the memory (and the GPU clock speed) that makes the biggest difference.

Anyways Muppy, Have a look at rik's link above.

The power supply you have is also a Dell proprietary PSU (typical Dell) so you may have a hard time finding a PSU that will fit in your system.

Here is one I found for you: http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S36D

The other problem with your system is you are using a celeron CPU. Celeron cpus were not designed with gaming in mind, and are very poor performers.

At least this computer runs XP. My last one was a 98-er. I'm probably getting a laptop for college next year, though, so it's pointless for me to go find a better computer for the time being right now.
Thanks for the help : ) I may come back, but I'm not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back