Video card/monitor compatibility

By jeffeven
Oct 11, 2009
  1. I currently have a Radeon X1300/X1550 Series video card and cannot upgrade because my Dell Inspirion is the "narrow case" model. I am currently running a Dell 19" monitor. Will this video card support an upgrade to a 24" or 25" monitor? I primarily use the computer for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Thanks, Jeff
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Read the specs for the monitor, and the specs for the video graphics card. Other than the specifications there is no reason why it will not work...
  3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

I do not know of a dedicated video card on the market which does not support a resolution of 1920x1200. Only monitors past 27" generally use 2560x1600, so a 24" or 25" panel is almost guaranteed to run at either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. So yes, your card should support a monitor that size.
  4. jeffeven

jeffeven TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, guys. Think I'll take the plunge. Guess I can return it if it doesn't work.

5. jeffeven

jeffeven TS Rookie Topic Starter

Do you think it will negatively affect my framerates with Flight Simulator X?

6. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

Yes, running at higher resolutions is more demanding on the video card and will result in reduced performance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.