Video card not detected by motherboard

By jtmgizso
Mar 19, 2009
  1. For the past month I have been attempting to put together a computer after my previous one literally lit on fire after a lightning storm. An interesting story but not entirely pertinent to the current endeavor.

I recently purchased an ASUS P5N-D motherboard along with a 700W PSU from OCZ Technology and 2x 1024MB DDR2 memory sticks. After putting it all together I put in my Palit 8800GT and the computer refused to boot; all it did was turn on all the fans giving every indication that it would start. It gave me a series of beeps and upon looking up the specific beep code it turns out it's a "video error" (which I must admit I found a bit ambiguous). I reseated the card several times in both slots on the motherboard, but the issue remained. I tested a spare Radeon HD 2400XT I had, which allowed the computer to boot up problem free with the exception of one out of place beep upon initially being turned on.

With the 8800 in the second PCI-E slot the computer boots without even noticing it's there. I run Windows XP Pro and device manager doesn't show anything even plugged in to the slot. I have read other posts where people explain this as a minor issue of setting the IRQ/VGA settings of the computer into some other mode. Frankly I have no idea what any of that means, but from what I can gather that option isn't present in my bios. Another solution I have read about simply explains to install the drivers of the video card and everything will just magically fall in to place. Much to my chagrin, upon attempting to install the drivers for the video card, an error pops up stating that there is "No suitable driver for [my] current VGA chip" which effectively allows my computer to continue not functioning as well as destroys any beliefs I have in magic being real.

From what I can deduce my video card is shot and I just need to suck it up and buy a new one. That being said I am by no means a computer expert and thus would greatly appreciate some insight that would prevent me from having to spend $150 or whatever it is on a new video card.
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

did you make sure you plugged the 6pin power cord in the video card? also try the other dvi port on the card.
  3. jtmgizso

jtmgizso TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh yes, the six pin connector is plugged in. I've tried both of them actually. Along with both DVI ports. I've also installed all the drivers for my motherboard, tested two different power supplies, and sacrificed a goat to some heathen gods. All of that to no avail, oddly enough.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Make sure you set the primary display adapter to PCI-E in the BIOS. In the BIOS, find it under "PCIPnp."
  5. jtmgizso

jtmgizso TS Rookie Topic Starter

Already done. The motherboard and the power supply clearly recognize something is plugged in, as the fans come on and all that. But past that it's like the card doesn't exist. Device manager goes a step further and doesn't acknowledge it at all.
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

The native generic graphics drivers that come with Windows should let the graphics card work at a basic level. In other words you should get a signal to the monitor even before installing the Nvidia graphics driver. Since the Radeon card shows the system works and your Nvidia card seems to be installed correctly (external power plugged in, etc.), it could be the 8800GT that is defective. Is there any chance you can test it in another PC to confirm this?

If the graphics card is defective, you will want to get an RMA and exchange it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.