video card plays games, but not movies. HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaeger0077

HI, i'm new to this forum and am at my wits end with the XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 AGP card i just bought. My old graphics card is an nforce2 integrated into the motherboard. AFter a lot of frustration--turning bios to agp/integrated, buying a new powersupply (computer had 250watt needed 350), deleting all old graphic drivers--it seemed the new 6600 card still didn't work. I was testing it by playing videos. When a windows media player file is played the computer basically freezes, and i checked the cpu usage during the freeze at it is at 100 for the media player. Thats when i tried testing my direct X (which i updated) and it worked fine. So i tried a game and the card worked fine. It was quite an upgrade graphically from my old card. But i still can't get my computer, with the new card, to play any windows media files, real player files, or any video whatsoever. Any idea why my card can play games (half life 2, world of warcraft) great, but can't play movies at all? I looked at Nvidia settings and couldn't find anything that might solve the problem. It also seems my computer recognizes my new graphics card only, according to device manager. I'm stumped and EXTREMELY frustrated. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

don't think it's the card

I think maybe when you deleted ALL the old graphics drivers, it sounds like maybe you deleted some that applied to to your programs, not only the ones for your previous vidoe card. You might check through device manager, in sounds, video etc., and see if you accidentally deleted things needed for the media players you mentioned. Since your monitor works, and the games work, it's probably not related to the card. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Media Player, etc? That might fix 'em. Good luck. :knock:

Thanks for the help. I downloaded all new codecs from codecguide.com and video files still don't work. I also got the new windows media player and that doesn't work either. I found out that streaming videos work though. Could this be a problem with the card itself? Why does it seem games can find the card and use it but video apps can't? Maybe i'll just send it back.

I did check out bios, but the only two options were pci and agp/integrated. So...i chose agp since its an agp card (though i was hesitant since it says agp/integrated). I actaully tried it with the pci option too and it still doesn't work. Is ForceWare the same as video drivers for the card? Thanks again for the input.

Yes, ForceWare are drivers for Nvidia graphics cards...

BTW, if it's a codec problem, VLC player (the one in the link I provided before) will sort that out - it will play almost all (99%) of the video files without installing codecs, as VLC comes with it's own codecs.

Did you trying playing a video in it?

Downloaded VLC player, still doesn't play movies. Got sound, but no video--then my computer crashed. And it still says player is using 100% of cpu resources. Any other thoughts? I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Well, one idea comes to mind, but you have to have WMP10 installed.

Start WMP10>click Tools>click Options>click Performance Tab>click Advanced (under "video acceleration")>click "use high quality mode" (under Video Acceleration area); this will uncheck "Use overlays".

Close WMP10, then start it again and try playing something.

Hope this helps...

Well, i downloaded WMP and unchecked video overlays. It still doesn't work. However, i downloaded winamp, unchecked video overlays, and videos DO work, however they are very low quality. What does this mean? At least there has been some progress.

Besides a DVD optical drive you need DVD software. DVD codecs come with DVD player programs like PowerDVD or WinDVD. While Window Media Player 10 will play DVDs, it will only do so if there is another DVD player installed. It doesn't come with DVD codecs and has to use another program's codecs.

Alternately, you might be able to find just the codec on the internet or maybe a free DVD player somewhere.

Heh, seems i was too hasty with my last post, I had to edit it. No videos work in WMP, only winamp. I have windvd and all the necessary codecs.

This problem with video not displaying when overlays are enabled is very common if:
a) you're using the second DVI output from your card
b) have two monitors, or two devices (e.g monitor + projector) connected to your video card

Check to see if one of these is your problem and try sorting it out.

OK, only one DVI output on my card works. That is, only one sends video to the monitor. I have nothing else connected besides my monitor.

GeForce 6600GT - DVD playback

I too have the same problem. Games are OK but since installing the new 6600GT AGP video card we cannot play back DVDs or any other moving images. As soon as a DVD disc is put in the drive the system slows down to such an extent that the computer has to be rebooted. Tried removing all DVD software and reinstalling but problem persists. Anyone else out there able to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back