Video card randomly shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, first off I have to give fair warning that I don't know a lot about the technical terms when it comes to computers, but I know enough to get my around.

Anyways, as of 3 days ago, my computer started having problems where I'd be in the middle of surfing the net or playing a game, and the monitor would shut off, then right after the whole computer would freeze up. I first thought it was a overheating problem, so I got Speedfan and saw my CPU was running anywhere between 51C when it wasn't being used, to almost 70C when I had multiple programs running. So I went and bought some AS5, applied only a small even layer about the size of a grain of rice, then tried it again, but the same problem happened. So, next I tried messing w/ the power supply, thinking maybe it was the problem, and got a new 550W power supply, and still the same problem occurs. I then thought it might be the ram, but I'm not sure if that would cause it or not, or maybe it might be the video card itself. I have currently 2 512MB sticks of ram, and a Nvidia 7800 GTX video card. Sometimes the monitor won't even turn on after a hard reset, and sometimes it'll run for up to 3 hours with no problems before it shuts down, so I'm completely clueless on what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back