TechSpot

Video Card upgrade?

By Dell310!
Oct 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell E310 but I'm tried of the crappy intregrated graphics and I don't want highly priced PCI cards.

Whats the cheapest way I can replace my motherboard(maybe a dual core processor?) power supply+ ram and it will all fit nicely in my case. I am not worrying about the graphics card as long as i have the option for a Pci x16 card I can put in later.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,840   +165

You would be better off if a computer savvy friend built you a custom computer
  3. Dell310!

Dell310! TS Rookie Topic Starter

With a 150 dollar budget?
  4. Tmagic650

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Try this build instead:
    Slightly over your budget but a better performing alternative to Tmagic650's proposed build, although I admit that his build gives you the option of upgrading to a Core 2 Duo later. Feel free to mix and match between both, but I recommend the FSP PSU over that particular Antec model, since the latter is basically (pun unintended) B-stock.
  6. godson

godson TS Rookie Posts: 40

I don't think you can put atx mobo's in the e310 its a btx case..
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Ah yes, excellent point godson, I missed that. The position I\O connectors and add-in card slots on a BTX motherboard is the opposite of that on an ATX motherboard, so you can physically fit an ATX motherboard in a BTX case and vice-versa.

@Dell310!, better increase your budget a little to include a new case. Alternatively, try looking on eBay for an appropriate BTX motherboard.
  8. Tmagic650

These are micro ATX boards... you might miss a PCI slot but they should fit... Like I originally said "have someone build you a computer"... With the addition of a case you would be looking at under $300 minus labor charges from a friend. I could build a similar barebones system plus labor for $400
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.