Video controller (VGA compatible) driver missing

amb913

hello. ive noticed my computer slows wayyy down when i try to play a game or watch a movie or video. i looked in system/ hardware and it has a question mark on video controller (vga compatible). which means i need a driver for it right? i dont know what kind of computer i have because my moms friend put it together for us, so its not a dell or hp or anything. does anyone know where i can get this driver? ive read alot and it seems people tell other people asking this question to go to the computers manufacturers website. but i cant do that. i also havea question mark on pci simple communications controller. i dont know what that is. im not very computer savvy but i know the basics. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Hi,
You have two ways or even more to get the type of your computer and manufacturer,
1 - press and hold the windows key + R or go to start & look out for RUN command, then when it shows up, type in dxdiag then hit enter.
When a dialogue comes up, read it or just hit enter to continue, now the next dialogue will show u alot of stuff but look for where it says system model, that is what we need.
2 - Go and download an application called SPECCY, install it and run it, the in computer summary it will tell you alot about you computer, look up for manufacturer and tell us what you see.
Hope that helps

thanks robin! when i ran dxdiag it says system manufacturer is intel and system model D865GLC_, now what do i do. lol. i didnt see manufacturer in speccy, just a bunch of other stuff.

thanks mailpup! i did install the video driver, and it worked at first, but now its lagging again. i dont know what the problem could be. like i said, it used to work fine a few months ago. grrr. this is really annoying. i went to the intel download page and entered windows xp pro, then drivers. i downloaded this one: ( Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics Driver for 865 Chipset-Based Intel Desktop Boards ). im assuming thats the one i needed?

That should be the correct graphics driver. In the Device Manager are there any other devices that show a yellow symbol. If so, you need to download and install those drivers as well.

i was hoping getting the right graphics driver would make movies and games run better but they arent. its still the same as if i had never installed it. it still lags big time after running a game or playing a movie or video for a couple minutes. yes there is one more yellow question mark on pci simple communications controller. i think that is a modem? i have magic jack, and now i see magic jack is listed as a dvd/cd device, which could be why my cd player doesnt work anymore.

any ideas where i can get a pci simple communications controller driver? would i have to get one from the intel site since my motherboard is intel?

Yes. All drivers related to your motherboard should come from the Intel site. The PCI driver should be contained in the chipset driver bundle.

thanks lookinaround. i went to that link and updated my drivers. it still didnt fix the yellow question mark on pci simple communications though. im thinking its the magic jack doing it, because my magic jack shows up as a cd/dvd drive. i dont know why. and now i cant use my cd player. also, getting the graphics driver didnt fix my main problem which is videos and games running extremely slow. its really driving me crazy. i cant open up my photobucket at all, because it takes ten years to load. is this a graphics problem or maybe a processor problem? like i said, it used to work just fine. everything ran smooth when playing a video or game. do processors go bad? i dont know anything about that stuff.. help!

thanks mike. i did have the cc cleaner. i ran it again and it said congratulations! no bad files found or something like that. so it found nothing. i de-fragged not too long ago. computer is still slow with videos and games. what else could cause this? i have run every spyware, virus cleaner program i can think of. maybe it is just a slow processor or something to do with the hardware in this computer. i can post specs if that helps.

yah i dont like messing with the registry, since i dont know much about computers. my question is this. will it make my computer run smoother when playing videos and games? thats all i care about and the reason i posted this whole thing in the first place. lol. the computer runs fine, very smooth. UNTIL i start to watch a video or play and flash games, like facebook games. ive done everything i know to do, and nothing is helping.

It would be worth seeing if there is a better (more up to date) graphic card driver, which could help. I have used this with good results, it's a free program, and they don't try to charge you for the drivers.
http://www.driveridentifier.com/
The registry program works well for me, and if you create a restore point first, then run the program, you can go back to how you were, if needed.
(If you are using Vista or 7, just type 'restore point' in the 'search' box. The option will be first in the list of results.)
I just had a look, and I see my installed version of Auslogics Registry cleaner has made a backup and restore point of every time I used it, but I have never needed to go back. But it's up to you of course !

Back