Video Controller (VGA Compatible) not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI:
Recently I installed windows xp home edition because of real serious problems with my computer. Now I have another problem because it seems that the driver for the monitor or video card are not installed so I only get 4 bit of color and I can't change the resolution of the monitor. I've been reading some forums and I think that I need the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) driver to make it work. Can any one help me?

I've been reading some forums and I think that I need the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) driver to make it work. Can any one help me?
Well you already have one in one form or another.. how else can you see the screen? You are running just window's generic set of video drivers..

Basically, its a simple task of finding out what brand and model graphics adapter you have (and if its onboard or dedicated) and then looking on the net and downloading it. Eg ATI, nVidia, Intel etc.

If you have trouble or don't have a clue how to find out, download EVEREST Home or some other hardware readers like SIW etc.

thanks for the hints... I already solved the problem.. I only looked and downloaded a driver for the monitor which is Compaq 7550 and that did.. thanks.

Im having this same problem

I reformatted my pc and reinstalled xp version that came with my hp puter, updated all windows updates/service packs, still getting this video controller vga compatible problem. I have a 9800 pro, it wont let me install the drivers

here is my everest summary please help.

Computer YOUR-136F2019DC (mediacenter)
Generator HP_Administrator
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-09-11
Time 00:00

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name YOUR-136F2019DC (mediacenter)
User Name HP_Administrator

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3400+
Motherboard Name Asus K8S-LA (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 760GX, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/19/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD2000BB-22GUA0 (186 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Seagate FreeAgent Pro USB Device (465 GB, USB)
Optical Drive ASUS CD-S480/AH (48x CD-ROM)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive SONY iLINK DRIVE IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 184208 MB (173392 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 6550 MB (752 MB free)
L: (NTFS) 476937 MB (282054 MB free)
Total Size 652.0 GB (445.5 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (192.168.1.5)
Network Adapter SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

-------------------------------------------------

PCI/AGP 10DE-00F5: Video Controller (VGA Compatible) [NoDB]

"won't let" means what? The computer slaps your fingers every time you try? A giant red dialog box comes up saying "Oh no you don't!"?

If the vid card came from HP, then you should use the drivers supplied by HP on their download page for your specific model.

You may have to install motherboard drives before the vid card drivers to let it detect AGP bridges or suchlike.

i have reinstalled all files from the system backup tools bundled with the pc, the only problem is originally the puter came with an nvidia 5200fx, i took it out and later installed a Ati 9800 pro, i no longer have the 5200fx, it does not appear to have onbaord video port for me to plug monitor in either, i do know i have reformatted once before and put the 9800 pro back in and i dont recall having this problem.

I cannot find any info on drivers for this motherboard. Any help is greatly appreciated.

driver for a ATI Radeon 9800 can be found on http://ati.amd.com/products/index.html and downloading the catalyst software (which will have the drivers on it) or by looking under drivers for your card.

for your drivers on your PC, you will need to go to hp.com (and whatever region you use) and just type in the model of your PC into the search box. Find the result for your pc and click the link. On the side of the screens there should be words like "Drivers" or "Support". Follow on and find your drivers there.

You may also try using windows update, but that sometimes won't have specific drivers in its database. If you've used the driver disc(s) that came with your pc, then the chipset drivers might already be installed, even if its an older version.

See if this helps.

thanks for your advice however ive already been to the ati site and downloaded the catylist control center and drivers, it tells me that i cant install it because i dont have the proper hardware or software configuration, ive also been to hps site and downloaded everything again and im still stuck with the same issue.

ive pretty much lost all hope, last time i formatted i didnt run into this mess, im wondering if i would've kept the fx5200 and reinstalled it to start if things would be okay, not sure where to go from here.

under device manager its not even recognizing my card as an ati 9800 it just says video controller (vga) with yellow exclamation mark, ive tried to update the driver but to no avail.

If you go through your BIOS settings, there might be a setting to enable AGP devices, some motherboards have them, some don't.

You can try cleaning and reinstalling the drivers, for that you'd need to:
uninstall the current one, go to safe mode and use a utillity like driver cleaner, reboot and then try and install the ATI drivers again.

If you've recently opened your PC or bumped it in any way, turn it back off and unplug from the mains, reseat and check the card is connecting ok to both external power supply and seating in the motherboard properly.

eliminate the card being the problem by testing on another PC to see if it picks up.

what was your purpose of reformatting this time?

I appreciate your support, but i havent bumped my card, i dont have any old drivers to uninstall i formatted before i reinstalled, it was supposed to install it back to factory specs, however i dont have the original card fx5200,

i reformatted due to too may spyware/viruses i couldnt get rid of. i went out and got a new pc tonight because of this but i hope to get the other one running would be a great backup pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back