Video Driver Problem

Mark Fuller

I have a friend who has an old compaq presario 6350us which he recently reformated and reinstalled the os(wxp). Now he cannot play an eagles dvd he has. It gives an error message that says "Windows media player cannot play this dvd because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your dvd drive, decoder, and your video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." I checked online and it already has the current driver and it did no good to reinstall it. Also, it will not work with 2 dvd roms I tried (Internal and external). It only does it with the eagles dvd and rented movies, it will play dvd videos that I recorded from youtube. It would play the movies before the reformat.

XP doesn't come with the codec to handle encrypted dvds. Before the format, his computer may have shipped with that codec, or somewhere along the lines he bought some software that included it.

In any case, the only (free) legal solution right now is to install some software that does include it. I recommend VLC.

Back