Video driver update difficulty

Having some problems running World of Warcraft, I posted on a thread about my difficulty and gave them my dxdiag, and a Blizzard poster gave me a link to follow to update my video driver. I followed the link, downloaded it, and proceeded to install the new driver when, about 1/4 of the way through the installation, it said that it "failed to install a core component" and that, upon computer restart, it would revert back to the last driver that worked.

However, when I restarted, things were a little messed up. Icons were gigantic, so I fixed the resolution, but things still seem messed up - my ability to scroll down a window (online or offline) seems severely hampered - it's more like it quickly reloads the page than actual scrolling. I am wondering what I should do now to get things back to the way they ought to be. I am not entirely sure how to figure out what graphics card or driver I currently have (my friend built it for me while I was at school), but here is the info found in the link I was given (I don't have enough posts yet to actually post the link):

GeForce/ION Driver Release 256

Version: 258.96 WHQL

Release Date: 2010.07.19

Operating System: Windows XP

Language: English (U.S.)

File Size: 82.6 MB

Let me know how I might be able to obtain any other info that would help. Thanks a lot.

If it were me I would use system restore (it works better from safe mode) to go back to before you installed the driver that messed you up.
Anytime you update your graphics drivers you should use a cleaner to remove any traces of the old one, otherwise you can have problems. I often use driver cleaner pro (the free version) from within windows immediately after uninstalling from the add/remove programs section (XP). Remove all drivers for the graphics but leave any chipset stuff for nvidia alone. Here's the order I uninstall (nview desktop manager then drivers then display control panel will give you an error cause the driver unistall allready got it) You can also uninstall the physx drivers if you have them and download a new version if you need it.

Then run "driver cleaner pro" (google it but download from a place you trust) and select the word "nvidia" only, thats the graphics drivers leave the chipset stuff alone. It will even remove the folder under your C drive where nVidia likes to extract its stuff. Then reboot and go into safe mode (for me its the F8 button repeatedly at boot) and in safe mode install the new drivers.

Failed to install a core driver means there was something still active on your machine and it couldn't replace it while it was running.

The best way to be sure you get drivers for your machine is to go to the nvida site and follow the support section entering your info as you go (usually a few windows putting the appropriate info in order, but its for cards only, not onboard video, if you have onboard video you have to go to the mobo manufacturers site). Start with your graphics (geforce) then the series (like 8) your card number (like a 8800gt) and finally your OS. there is also a button for letting them scan your machine and tell you what you need automatically. I don't do warcraft or any online gaming so I can't help you but perhaps installing the latest directx 9.0c (june redistibutable) might be a good idea too.

All your icons got big cause it reverted back to just a generic VGA driver when the install failed and your desktop looked like you were in safe mode where drivers do not get loaded but most can be installed.

I believe that is because of a previous installation.
NVIdia used to just install over, but recently the latest drivers have had that issue while installing (at least, for me).
Get rid of your old drivers, reboot (should look like $#@$% at 800x600), then run the installer again.
I personally used revo, and have never tried driver cleaner pro, but I assume it works...

I'll add my 1 1/2 cents worth about some of the uninstaller tools

1. Revo Uninstaller
I like Revo Uninstaller and use it myself for application program removal! But.. Revo is more focused on application program uninstalls (and it then tries to also remove the bits and pieces on your machine associated with the program it just uninstalled). So if a program is installed that included a driver for it
> Revo will find the program installation info in CtrlPnl=> Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/Win 7) and remove the program and then try removing its associated pieces
> But if only device drivers are installed in Device Manager, Revo doesn't look for or provide those drivers as uninstall options when you look at the Revo program menu

2. Driver Cleaner Pro
I've never use it but from what i see, this is free-to-try then you pay$$ i think?

3. Guru 3D - Driver Sweeper
For a freeware tool that tackles uninstall/cleanup specifically of drivers from some of the major vendors (like nVidia and ATI, etc) try Driver Sweep

/* EDIT */
Hmmm.. so if you want to try to be very thorough in difficult cases, one might run Revo to first remove an application program software and it'll also attempt removing "extra" stuff (which could include drivers). But to be really sure, i'd run Driver Sweeper and Revo as well.. just all my best guess as to approach in "stubborn" cases

Back