TechSpot

Video editing

By mmango
Dec 7, 2009
  1. Hi all! I could really use some help. I am very technically challenged so please bear with me. I recently purchased a HD Camcorder. I have uploaded the videos to my computer and can't watch them. The video stalls out. I can hear sound but the video is very choppy at best.

I am not really sure what information to give you in order for you to help but I will give you what I know.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz
    Ram: 8 GB
    System type: 64 bit operating system
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Let me know if you need any other info. Thanks!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,230   +232

What version of Windows are you running? Do you have Adobe's Flash, Windows Media Player 11 and Apples QuickTime installed?

3. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,201   +422

I hate to say it but it's probably either a codec issue (some decoders perform better than others) or just plain raw processing power. When I pull my HDV off my camcorder it can bring my E8400 to its knees and I find myself doing all my HD work on one of my Qxxxx machines. It's probably not RAM or HardDrive performance - probably just actual CPU cycles. Try with an alternate codec (I've found CoreAVC to be particularly efficient, but not free) or test it on another machine with a more recent machine.

If you figure out a way to make this run well on your current rig please be sure to reply back here.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.