Video errors, skips/buffers/lags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

Weather I watch something on WMP or QT or watch YouTube, it all skips after like 10 seconds of playing. I thought that an additional 2gb of ram would help but it's only made other things quicker. I know everyone will jump to a video drivers solution but according to my page (I have an Acer 5520 Laptop Windows Vista basic) I have the latest drivers, can anyone think of anything else, java, flash, anything like that....its doing it for online streaming and some offline stuff too and it's really starting to depress me lol. Anyone have anything I can try, or what kind of info do you need from me,, thanx in advance, I appreciate it :)

Are you running on wireless internet? Maybe with 1 or 2 other pc's in the house? The upgrade of ram at least got you performance boost, so good for you on that part.

What kind of connection are you running? Have you made sure you have updated java software installed?

I am running one laptop on a wireless connection. I have a pretty fast connection, it does it also with my offline vids sometimes too, how do I check what version of java I have, cause I think I just did an update for that too

I've updated them, one thing someone lead me down was my router settings and MTU, I think my laptop and router are on diff settings, anyone know how to adjust this on Comcast or Netgear's equipment, what should it be on?

Is it only happening with streaming video? On youtube at least you have a lighter red color indicating how much has downloaded. Pause it until that red bar has progressed to the end, then play, does it lag then?

Yeah I know how streaming video works, it's not JUST YouTube, it's like IGN's videos, Giantbombs, anything streaming.

I didn't question your knowledge on streaming video, I asked you to do something and report with results, you failed to do that. I also asked if it was ONLY streaming video or if other video was affected, again you failed there.

Go **** around with your MTU all you want, but I've never heard of anyone using that to fix your issue. It may not even make any difference at all if you are downloading the video faster than you can play it, we'd know if you had done what I asked.

sngx is correct. MTU will have no bearing on this problem at all if you are already receiving the stream enough to buffer it faster than it is played. Not to mention, MTU is something you should almost NEVER modify. It is something which must remain consistent on the entirety of a packet's path. You're talking 1 chance in a million that it is causing you any problems at all.

If you want help, you should extend the courtesy of trying out people's suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back