TechSpot

Video file not transfering completely out of my external hard drive

By screaminkid
May 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have a file that I converted from laser disc to AVI. The total length was 20 gig but cut in two pieces. I transfered the files to a Seagate 1 Tarabyte hard drive for storage but now cannot get it to fully transfer back to any PC. The bigger part of the two is over 15 gigs and when there is about 9 gigs left the transfer stops.

Is there any way to get this out or fix the problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 122

Are you using Windows built in copy program or a 3rd party tool?

3. screaminkid

screaminkid TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am using windows copy and paste.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,371   +289

Will the file play from its current location? If so can you skip to the second half of the video without issue? Are you transferring it to a drive with a non FAT32 filesystem?

5. screaminkid

screaminkid TS Rookie Topic Starter

The file will play fine from it's current location. And yes, I am trying to transfer to a non FAT32 location. I don't understand the second question other than I can tell you that the second part does transfer and play okay. It is only 5 gigs...

6. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 122

Well its possible when Windows tries to transfer that large of a file at one time it hangs because of the total file size.

I use a program called unstoppable copier http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

It will copy the file sector by sector instead of in one chunk. It basically makes it a puzzle, takes it apart, and then rebuilds it on the destination drive. I have found it useful for damaged disks and FAT disks so you might give it a try.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

He meant, will it play the 2nd part of the first video.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.