By foozy
Feb 8, 2007
  1. So i'm out of town right now, away from my usual computer junkyard, and I need to install an operating system on this old computer I rebuilt from spare parts.

Problem is, I don't have a monitor. I'm typing on my laptop right now, which has a VGA port, wondering if there's any way I can use my laptops screen as video output for the computer. Is it at all possible? Or can I only plug a monitor into the VGA and use my laptop's output?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

No, you can't use the VGA port as an input.

Yes, there is software that would let you use the laptop as a monitor (over LAN), but you'd need to install it first on both the laptop and the other computer :)
  3. mudtalo

mudtalo TS Rookie

He is refering to remote desktop i'm guessing. I am trying to come up with a way to have a travle size screen and thought of this too. A laptop would be great if you could hard access the screen via an external port. I guess the PC companies want you to buy a laptop for portable use but I really want a screen to go with my shuttle for lan games. Any suggestions on a screen? I really would rather have a half decent laptop with an input video but they don't seem to exist.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.