Video problem leading to full system freeze

Nxtar

hey i have been having this issue for about 1 month now. it first started while just watching video on youtube, but soon became any type of video. Also the screen flickers between normal and nothing several times with the screen displaying "No Signal Detected". I have only had this issue since buying the Nvidia GT240 i have installed and running the 258.96 x64 drivers. the only video error report i can find says

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
WD-20100822-0929.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA8007C394E0
BCP2: FFFFFA600671DCF8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 256_1
Server information: c6538c38-234d-45be-8b6a-5ecd4f855150

any help would be greatly appricated. I do how ever susspect the video card is faulty

thanks in advance

Error 0x117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED

This indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion.

Tell us everything you did concerning video card drivers.

after installing the video card into the case, i booted windows normally and proceeded to install the drivers provided on the cd. during the installation a error poped up saying the drivers were only for a 32bit OS, i then went online to the Nvidia website and downloaded 257.21_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql. After installed and rebooted I played a dvd for about 6min before the problem returned, few weeks after i was informed about a newer driver so i returned to Nvidia site and downloaded 258.96_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql. Thats all the drivers i have installed as the cd from the card only had 32bit drivers on it and not the 64bit. i have also tried K-Lite 64 and 32bit packs but sadly no change

Try the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Tell us the results.

well i did everything you mentioned and still the problem persists. there were no newer drivers for my card on the nvidia site, but now the latest drivers wont install but the version before them is working fine. i will however try the new ones again. anything else you wanna try just let me know and i'll give it a shot.

If the previous version is working fine then use those drivers. We often see the newest not working but the previous do.

some time of testing

well after a very long time and a crap load of testing i still have no new answers and i am at my wits end. i took my video card back to the place i bought it from and they bench marked, stress tested and looped video on it for 5 days straight and it didn't lock up once, i have reformatted the computer got all the latest updates and still have the same issue. i tried my old video card ( Zotac 8800gt AMP Edition). no freezes occurred with it or with my onboard Radeon HD4200 and still no freeze. that being said i am now looking at the issue may be my main-board.

If there is any software i can get a hold of to full test for faults in my computer please let me know. If not then i might have to take this old girl to a computer store for the first time in its life

I don't think it is a software issue but a hardware issue unless your new video card and Windows 7 don't play nice. When you reinstalled your new video card after reformatting did you install using the original disk or did you attempt to install using the brand newer drivers and skipping the installation disk that came with your card?

i skipped the install disk for the reason it only had 32 bit drivers and im running Vista Ultra 64 bit. and is there any way i can test the system hardware without sending the computer to a shop?

A simple diagnostic step: If you can find a friend or an assiciate who has another video card that you could temporarily install into your system to see if you gain stability.

that might be a little hard for me as most of my mates are students at uni with laptops but I will see if they have an older one somewhere

hey i know its been a long time but i fixed my issue without changing the card. all i had to do was update to forceware version 260.99. i first installed win7 ultimate 32bit and it was still there but windows update downloaded the forceware drivers for me and now no more problem.. Many thx again to Route44 for you patience and advice

CHEERS!!!!

Back