TechSpot

Video: Robot Ruby solves Rubik's Cube in ~10 seconds, humans still winning

By Emil
Jun 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Students at Swinburne University of Technology are claiming they have developed the world's fastest Rubik's Cube-solving robot. The robot, named Ruby, can solve the scrambled puzzle in just over 10…

Read the whole story

2. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

I solve them all the time. The secret is the flathead screwdriver.

3. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

Uhm, the guy in the vid does not start the timer when he begins "scanning" the cube.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

"The secret is the flathead screwdriver."

I found peeling off the colored squares and moving them for the win worked best for me. :p

5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 330   +21

"Pro" rubik's cubers tend to lube or modify their cubes to allow it to rotate faster. I can't see the videos right now but I'll look later to see if that is the case with the human and/or robot.

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

human has time to look it over. program the bot with starting colors (on which sides) and give it a better ability to hold it and im sure itll beat humans with 5 seconds or something.

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

Tom, they do pop right out. pretty easy really. Ive only been able to sove them in about 4 minutes best time.

8. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

Yes but was that under 10 seconds? :p

I found that painting over them is working flawlessly, or can always use the good'ol hammer ;)

9. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

The cube reappeared as a temporary thing everyone was doing, so I joined in and usually finished a 3x3x3 in just under one minute. The most known algorithm is definitely not the fastest - but a pint of olive oil is a sure place to start.

Yeah... mine still smells like an olive all right...

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

I used to be able to solve them... bought a how-to book at a garage sale when I was kid and learned a few repeatable patterns to get through it. Used to impress people who didn't realize i was just repeating the same pattern over and over.

I have no idea how to solve one even though I've done it countless times. Maybe i'll read up on it.

11. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

There's a simple algorithm to solving them. Once you learn it, you can solve it in no time. I used to know the trick (found it on google), but the fastest I could muster was about 40 seconds.

12. Technochicken

Technochicken TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903

The robot analyzed and solved it within 10 seconds. The person got to look at the cube for a good bit before hand.

13. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

The robot begins solving (read manipulating) it as he is scanning it, so I see why they start counting right away.

14. That's not a Rubik's brand cube that the bot is using, I can't say for sure but it looks like a Sheng En F2, Tai-yan is better but you can never go wrong with an F2.
    And please don't put oil in your cube, pick up a can of CRC Heavy Duty Silicone, couple sprays inside, work it around for a minute and you're good to go with no mess.

And FYI speed cubes are almost always cheaper than a rubik's brand(my Tai Yan 2 was $9, my Rubik's was $15)

15. Oh! And I average around 12 seconds with my Tai Yan and about 20 with my Rubik's

And speed solver's don't use the rubik's method, most use Fridrich's, but there is also Petrus, Roux, and quite a few other methods

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.