Video streaming on subnet?

Frenzy

I recently bought a new TV with streaming ability and im having problems allowing it to see my PC on the network. Previously I had a Pc - ADSL Router - xbox/tv setup, but now to save me having to swap the cable from the xbox to the TV all the time ive added a router in on a different IP. My ADSL router is the usual 192.168.0.1, with the PC being on 0.2. The new router is on 1.1 and my TV cannot find my PC. I know theres a way to do it with subnet but im not sure how. I do have a 36 port switch aswell but dont fancy having to run extra cables which defeats the reason for the new router.

if anyone can help me id be glad to try it.

ive added a router in on a different IP. My ADSL router is the usual 192.168.0.1, with the PC being on 0.2. The new router is on 1.1
oops. get it all on the same subnet like this:

Code:
Router#1(192.168.0.1) ---------( lan port )NewRouter(Lan port)---->TV
leave the WAN port on the new router EMPTY, which will make it act as a switch.

For this to work as shown, New Router must have the DHCP service disabled.

PS: that's exactly how I serve my HD Samsung.

Btw: this gives streaming from the net as well as video+pictures from the PC :)

Thanx for that. I had the ADSL router connected to new router on WAN which was my mistake. probably woulda got there eventually on my own just really dont have time to mess about with it. ive now got my SKy box, Samsung TV and XBOX360 all connected via the new Router (wgr614) which in turn is connected by LAN to the ADSL router. hope the ping times are ok on it now.

That wgr614 has wifi and it is still active with the layout noted - - just the DHCP service will come from your upstream router.

Yeh, ive manually assigned the LAN'd devices on the wgr614 to reduce the gaming ping I hope. or so id heard that can help instead of DHCP.

That's all fine and it insures your PC can find it at a constant location

BUT - - dhcp has nothing to do with ping response times, it's used ONLY to make the connection and
will be done immediately when the box is powered on - - unlikely you'll ever see the small one-time delay

" LAN'd devices on the wgr614"
with the DHCP in the wgr614 disabled, those assignments will not be used - - you would need them to come from the ADSL router.

There is a way to keep DHCP on the router AND the wgr614 but its complicated - - you're better off not attempting that.

The devices ive got on the WGR ive manually IP addressed them to the ADSL router so the DHCP of the ADSL router doesnt need to assign them. its just the way ive done it always. it works that way so cant complain.

Thanx for the help anyway. everything all hooked up and everything seems fine now anyway.

Back