Video: Windows 8 to include a webcam application?

Emil

Staff

Windows 8 may be getting a webcam application for taking pictures and filming video. A user who goes by the name of PlainDickhead has posted a YouTube video on the My Digital Life forums showing off the basics of the new utility.

The video shows a basic user interface that lets the user configure webcam settings and application settings, take timed or instant pictures, and record video clips. Like many other parts of Windows 8 we've seen leaked so far, the application has a very basic design: a dark background, blue icons, white text, and an overall clean layout.

Under Application Settings, there are five options: Webcam, Audio source, Resolution, Frame rate, and Audio recording level. Webcam Settings also has five options: Brightness, Focus, Exposure, Zoom, and Flicker. Those are under the two tabs on top, while the three icons on the right let you do the actual picture taking and video recording. Once the content has been captured, you are given the option to view it and then either Accept or Retake it.

This application, if it ends up making it into the final release of Windows 8, is not yet complete. It looks as if the video preview function is currently not working. Furthermore, the application only works in full screen mode.

Windows should have received a webcam application a long time ago, but I think the reason it is getting one now is due to form factor. Laptops are outselling desktops and the tablet market is getting ready to explode. Most laptops and tablets nowadays come with front-facing cameras, so it makes sense to include software for the hardware.

Permalink to story.

Don't these computers that come with webcams have there own software anyway? It's not like apple were there is no software besides what is provided.

Xclusiveitalian said:
Don't these computers that come with webcams have there own software anyway? It's not like apple were there is no software besides what is provided.

It would make sense if they integrated it into the OS if they planned to add that facial recognition login feature.

I see the EU getting a lawsuit ready already.

I think this will be a good idea, I don't mind at the moment becasue most computer come with some form of software but this will mean we all get the same and hopfully it will be of a higher quilty, some of the software I have seen is shocking.

Ahaha I really like the phrasing here.

"A user who goes by the name of PlainDickhead"

I wasn't going to look at this story until I noticed that on the front page!

Back