Viewing and Extracting ZipFiles on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until last night, I was able to unzip files on my computer. I recently bought a new Windows Vista Home Premium Edition just a few weeks prior and I have been able to use these functions to extract files in My Sims2 games as well as view manga on line in a slide show format like the one in Photogallery.

Unfortunately, I accidently switched the default program to open all files Photogallery which resulted in none of my mangas opening and the Sims2 zip folders also being affected by this change.

I want to get it back to the way it was! But I don't know how! I want to go back to whatever I was using to view my mangas and play my in game hacks! Does anyone know how to fix this??

The word "Hacks" seems to be getting used legally these days!
ie you can hack a game to give you all areas, quite legally.

So I'm not exactly sure what the term hack was meant to imply here

Polaryss said:
In game hacks!
I think the term above would apply to the files what hackers call a "No-CD.exe"

Hacks still means to write or create new add-ons or functionally as you said, but only if you have permission or created the original program. In this case which obviously the user won't have permission to alter the program.

Even some no-cd hacks are legal, as you said subject to permission by game manufacture/vendor

I'm still not sure this is what was implied. We need more info from Polaryss, what was meant here.

I agree kimsland, Polaryss you need to show your intent, mentioning the words Hack or other words that could apply to a Legal or Illegal way. This has caused a bit of confusion on my part. The ways communication is now can cause problems especially writing on paper, text messages or on forums like here. Because talking face to face and on the phone you can here tone of voice and expressions which make it easier to interpret what someone is talking about. Unlike text when read you don't see or hear the tone of voice or see expressions.
Also sorry if i acted hastily but as i have explained above I interpreted it different and maybe other people may have seen my way or another way, i don't know.

I am sorry, when I say Hacks I don't mean anything illegal by it. I am simply referring to in game mods or just outfits and furniture that I have added to my game.

Ok sorry again, just try to say add-ons created by you next time if you have a problem with the game, i looked at the game website and can see you are allowed to create objects in your game.
Ok your problem is simple enough just right click on one of the files that you said you originally opened with zip and go to the properties and on the general tab change what the program opens with. That should sort your problem.:)

You both don't need to be sorry for asking and receiving help (regarding confusion)

I believe that woody1191 has shown correct hesitation in answering a question that required more information to resolve (following TS Guidelines)
Polaryss has then supplied this information (with a clearer description)

Everyone's happy :)

Yet to hear back from Polaryss, if all is now ok.

Has that sorted the problem out?
Finishes the thread then for other people to read knowing the problem was sorted.

I'd suggest you try a slightly different approach for the zip file issue

Instead of trying to restore your the old default program as your zip file handler, download/checkout a freeware tool ALZIP. It handles 36 different compression formats (including zip files) and personally i find it fast, easy to use, and has a nice User Interface.

Just install it and let it become the default program for compressed files, either
1. During the install. Just answer yes to its prompt when it asks you
2. Or after it;s installed, look in Tools -> Preferences -> File Associations and set it as the default at that time

Yeah you're right to use another program, i don't like the zip format used in Windows. But I prefer WinRar thought.

ok.

of course, is your choice of tool preferred. but u might want to at least look at/try ALZIP.. just don't answer yes to reassign File Associations and you can use it when you have the time to play with it. just a suggestion

I usually try software that is recommended, WinRar was recommended to me as well as Mozilla Firefox also having used IE as well. I now use Firefox because of a few reasons but thats not for this thread anyway. I heard of ALZIP just never bothered to download it yet.
I'll try ALZIP see what I think when i get a new HDD, mines dyed on my laptop (using desktop comp currently).

In XP you could just go to tools, folder options, file types to reset the extension. I just checked in Vista though and I don't seem to have that option. I'm sure its out there somewhere.

This may not help at all, but I thought maybe pointing out how to do it in XP might give someone an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back